partition table problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by trza, Feb 28, 2008.

1. trza

trza MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2008
    Hi, I was previously running windows xp 64 bit and for a number of reasons (mainly I couldn't share my media with my xbox 360) I decided to back everything up and install xp pro 32 bit version.

I have 3 IDE hard disks, 1 SCSI disk running my OS and 1 SATA disk

I backed everything up onto my 320gb IDE drive, reformatted my SCSI drive and installed XP pro 32 bit onto it. Upon reinstalling everything I found that the 320gb disk which I had backed everything onto now shows up as an unformatted 128gb disk!

I hadn't done anything to that partition table or even made any changes to that disk during install. I really need that data back and was wondering if anyone had any tips or could recommend any software that might be able to restore that data for me. :confused:

Please help!
    Any info would be appreciated

2. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I would install Paragon Partition Manager Pro 9.0 and look at that drive. If still says unformatted, use the undelet partition tool. Stay away from Norton Partition Magic. Paragon Partition Manager is amazing!

3. trza

trza MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2008
    It shows that there is a 128gb FAT16 partition on that drive. When I click undelete partition it only gives me choices of 2 drives that I have no interest in modifying.

Any ideas?

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    137 GB limit

It sounds to me like your are experiencing the 137 GB limit of XP. You MUST at least upgrade to SP2 before XP can "see" beyond 137GB.

Before I go any further with esoteric solutions, let me know if you have either SP2 or SP3 installed.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...