PartitionImageTool for BackUp W7 ??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sadom, Sep 18, 2009.

1. sadom

sadom MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    I´m searching for a ImageTool to backup my W7 partition, something like Norton Ghost or Paragon Hard Disk Manager.
    Ghost didn´t work anymore, after 30min searching find no one HDD.
    Any suggestions for me ???

thanks

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Why not using Win7 own integrated backup feature?
    Ultimate has it, not sure if other version also have it.

5. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    It works like ghost and make good backups

6. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Best Backup Software Period

Acronis True Image = Very Best. Without a doubt.

Most Fortune 500 Companys use this Software.
    I can personally vouch for it as I have been using for over 5 years & have done literally hundreds of Backups & Restores & it has never let me down.
    Anybody who has used this Software extensively, as I have will tell you the same thing.
    :D:):rolleyes:;)

7. cyclops

cyclops MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2007
    i fully concur with the above, Arconis is very nice app, and now the new arconis 2010 is even better ;p

8. endeavor

endeavor MDL Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I also say Acronis True Image, although at this point I don't like to install the latest version of it on Win7 yet for a number of reasons, but prefer to use the True Image v8.0.0.937 I had installed on WXP years ago, however only using its created True Image boot disk, and from that booting the CD I do all my backup and restores of WXP/Vista/Win7 and so you don't have to install it if you don't want.

9. sadom

sadom MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    Thanks a lot for all suggestions, tried W7 build in
    will also try Acronis

10. AlexRuiz

AlexRuiz MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Are you sure about the number in macrium reflect? 3 mins for 25 gigs, aprox 8 Gb/min, aprox 136 MB/sec..... hard to believe

Back to the topic, I am still using Norton Ghost 2003 (yes, that is correct)
    How does it work? excellent. I have been using Ghost 2003 for years, and works beautifully. Being DOS based, it has some limitations (restore from a SATA optical drive with SATA controller set to AHCI still not possible for example)

However, if going from hard drive to hard drive, it is hard to beat. It has very small footprint, loads very fast (hey, it is DOS based) and at least in motherboards with ATI/AMD SB7x0, if the hard drives are fast enough it can reach 5000 MB/min or higher Yes, that is over 80 MB/sec (catch: SATA controller has to be set to IDE, leaving it as AHCI caps at around 2000 MB/min. Hard drives have to be fast enough)

Beware, being an older tool, it cannot backup the MBR signature bytes properly if doing partition to partition or partition to image. It can do it only if going disk to disk or disk to image. What does it mean? That if the hard drive fails and it is replaced with a different drive, after restoring the image you will be greeted with the black screen that windows failed to load, so you need to use the OS media to perform a repair (happens only if image was created as partition to image). It is easily avoided by running a series of BCDEdit command right before the image is made.

Now the subject has been touched, I am interested in numbers (speed, time) of these applications when restoring from the recovery environment. Numbers from within the windows app are NOT representative of a true disaster scenario, meaning the drive doesn't boot and you need to recover from the recovery media.

Some numbers I have:

Paragon Drive backup 9.5 (paragon engine used also by Avanquest perfect image pro 11 and 12)
    Restoring form recovery environment is done at 1 GB/min. Booting from CD to the recovery environment also takes like 1 minute... It is very very effective but it is also quite slow. 20 GB in 20 min.

Norton Ghost 2003 CPU and hard disk limited. Phenom II X4 955 BE, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P, SB750. Restoring from a Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.B to a Samsung spinpoint F3 HD502HJ reaches 5000 MB/min. SATA controller set to IDE. Application boots in only 10 seconds, add 15 seconds to go into BIOS and change the SATA controller to IDE. A 40 GB partition is usually restored in 10-15 minutes. Takes much longer if restoring form DVD, or over network.
    Edit: Ghost is also slower at creating than at restoring, while paragon is equally slow for both ;)

Alex

11. Dyst

Dyst MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Yea, I just noticed, that pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys wasn't backed up, so it's considerably less then 25gb.

Anyway, did a small test with Macrium Reflect (free) and Acronis True Image Home 2010.

Create Image:
    Macrium Reflect - 3 min
    Acronis True Image - 4 min

Restore Image:
    Macrium Reflect - 8 min
    Acronis True Image - 3 min

Acronis install is 110 mb, while Macrium is 28 mb.

12. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    correct!!!

me too.. using it for long time now (older versions)!! (have bought it)..

I did put it on usb for recovery :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. tinbin

tinbin MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    #18 tinbin, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    personally shadow protect for me. to many bad backups with acronis

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009