Partitioning Tool for a dual-boot Tablet

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, May 16, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I am posting this here... maybe it ought to be in "Android" or in "Mobile &Portable", sorry...

The Chuwi HI10 plus is double boot, Win10 and Android tablet. The internal storage of 64GB is split into two partitions, with the major part going to Windows. But, I do not have much use for Windows, so:
    Is there a "tool" like a partition manager, which can be used on this tablet to reduce the Win partition to maybe 10GB, so the rest is available for Android?

(It does not seem possible to overwrite the whole installation, because (I was told that) a complete custom Android only partition image for the internal storage doesn't exist.)

Thanks

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My first idea would be to try windows own partition tool compmgmt.msc (disk management). But it cannot handle ext partitions. I don't know how the partitions are formatted. A multi tool would be best.

First of all you have to get an overview of all partitions. There are usually more partitions than you might expect. Some must not be altered at all or be cloned properly! (EFI system partition, or recovery, or ID related partitions)

I once have used a free tool MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.

Depending on the partition layout your actions can be tricky..it depends where the Android system and w10 system is located. If they are neighboured you just could move the boundary...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The best tool would be Gparted, I think! That could handle all different Partition formats with no problems.

Just I didn't understand why buying a high power Tablet with Dual OS while want to use the only Android? I use 3 different Windows Tablets and stopped already to use Android, except for the Handy! Since I use the Windows Tablet, the Laptop is most time in its bag somewhere in a corner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I also first thought about GParted, but I am not sure if the tablet can boot it (allows to have another boot priority / boot itself as external OS).

BTW..OP wants to shrink the windows partition and extend the Android partition, that's all.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Boot Process of a Tablet from within Windows isn't complicated, special not from Windows 8.1 and 10.

Just need to go into Settings -->Update & Security -->Recovery -->Advanced startup -->Restart now
    As the Tablet is new booting the ESC Key or Bios (if different) has to be booted to go into the BIOS or change to the BIOS Bootmanager.
    GParted has to be on a Bootable USB Flash drive which would be connected using an OTG Connector to the Mini USB Port of the Tablet.
    Rest works as on the Desktop/Laptop/PC.

I have 3 Windows Tablets which I all updated from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro and was the need for a clean install on all of them. I used the above-mentioned way with no problems. As I changed the OS Version, I needed to first to download and save all installed drivers, because none of them were available for download from the Internet. That worked also with no problems.
    As I said above, After getting the Tablet booting via the BIOS, all works like on a PC! Easy piece of cake!

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank, I appreciate your help.

Pisthai, you always forget that other people may have completely different priorities from you… I only considered Win10 at all, after I found a way to use it without a microsoft account. It has very few advantages compared to android, which can be rooted and then simply cleaned up. So your advice is no good for me. On this desktop here I am using Win7, because there is nothing that I need, that it does not do. I will never use anything like Win10, I would rather learn Linux...
    Gparted does not seem to be able to get into the set-up and I have had that confirmed by others, some actually have given up trying to change partitions on this tablet. Increasing the Win partition at the expense of Android seems possible, but not the other way around… but I am still checking that out. It seems it may not even be possible to use the additional microSD card for storage for android….

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I have to admit that I am not able to talk about the 'priorities' of other users, I could only talk about my own priorities an how I do work with that. If you could talk about the priorities of others and the related "How Too's", fine. Unfortunate I know only imperfect humans, sorry for that. I would never claim to know what are the 'Priorities' of others would be. What worked for me on my own hardware, I would be the only one to knows best and not anybody else!

A simple fact is, all we learn in our life, we mainly learn from things doing wrong by ourself and not be what others maybe have done.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you both once more

So, for the moment I will leave it as it is and do some more research, sooner or later someone will come up with an OS for it...
    ... and no, the french site also does not really have a solution. And no new posting for about a year.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Contact Chuwi in China, they would be able to help!