Passing variable value from CMD session to another

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sacarias, Nov 8, 2019.

1. sacarias

sacarias MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm currently using this
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...th-regular-user-and-admin.79962/#post-1536830
    on a script.

This first does non-admin stuff, then elevates to admin, quits non-admin session, and opens a brand new CMD session as admin user to do the rest.

So I'm running 2 different CMD sessions. I set a variable myvar=foo in the first unprivileged session. It's only valid for that session obviously. Is there a way to pass that variable value to the privileged CMD session once it starts?

2. wilenty

wilenty MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2014
    #2 wilenty, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Simple as possible example:
    Code:
    @echo off

rem your variable as example
    set myvar=foo

rem Made by @UpGrade4
    title Check for permissions
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
        echo Requesting administrative privileges...
        goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
        echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "%myvar%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

cscript //B //Nologo "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        exit /B

:gotAdmin
        if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
        pushd "%CD%"
        CD /D "%~dp0"

rem Do your stuff here as privileged user

echo myvar=%1

pause

In the above example you get the "myvar" as "foo" as the first parameter in the second CMD -> "%1"="foo"

3. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Not working...

At beginning of script I have something like
    if "%myvar%"==foo (goto admin) else (goto noadmin)

After elevating and new clean CMD session as privileged user starts I still get
    "" = foo
    thus always going to NOADMIN

4. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    #4 wilenty, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Please get whole my scrip, from the example, and run it from explorer window, for me it's working - checked.

5. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Currently I have this:
    Code:
    @echo off

if "%myvar%"==foo (goto ADMIN) else (goto NOADMIN)

:NOADMIN
    REM Unprivileged stuff here
    [...]
    set myvar=foo

(
       echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"
       echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~f0", "%myvar%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"
       cscript //B //Nologo "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"

exit /b
    )

:ADMIN
    REM Admin stuff here
    (
       if exist "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs" del /f "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs" 2>&1
       pushd "%CD%"
       CD /D "%~dp0"
    )

echo myvar=%1
    pause
    [...]

I already know when elevating to privileged user it opens a totally new CMD session and starting the script *from very beginning*. Script clearly needs to do some stuff as unprivileged, and some other as privileged.
    When elevating to privileged user I need script to begin at :ADMIN label, not at the beginning. That's why I try checking the %myvar% variable at very first.

But when just elevated and CMD starts in new session, I still get "if "" == foo". Thus :ADMIN label never actually enters.

Some help please?

6. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Why don't you an argument? Following are some instructions i developped for the Sledgehammer script :
    Code:
    set "params=Problem_with_elevating_UAC_for_Administrator_Privileges"&if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    fsutil dirty query %systemdrive%  >nul 2>&1 && goto :GotPrivileges
    ::    The following test is to avoid infinite looping if elevating UAC for Administrator Privileges failed
    If "%1"=="%params%" (echo Elevating UAC for Administrator Privileges failed&echo Right click on the script and select 'Run as administrator'&echo Press any key to exit...&pause>nul 2>&1&exit)
    cmd /u /c echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) : UAC.ShellExecute "%~0", "%params%", "", "runas", 1 > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"&cscript //nologo "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" && exit /b || (echo Elevating UAC for Administrator Privileges failed&echo Right click on the script and select 'Run as administrator'&echo Press any key to exit...&pause>nul 2>&1&exit)
    :GotPrivileges
    ...UAC.ShellExecute "%~0", "%params%", "", "runas", 1...
    and you test the presence of this param with If "%1"=="%params%"

7. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    #7 wilenty, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    @rpo I agree, he get only a part of my script, without checking my script and analyze it. Then, it does not work for him - it don't works like that. ;)

For first the explanation.
    In the first check in your scrip the -> 'if "%myvar%"==foo (goto ADMIN) else (goto NOADMIN)' <- never return 'true', because -> "%myvar%" <- is not this same as -> foo <-, you missed double-quotes.
    For second, the variable "%myvar%" exists only in the :NOADMIN check function, but does not exists Globally in the the script. So, how it should work in your opinion?

I already wrote to you that the variable %myvar% you get as the first parameter in the "brand new CMD" as %1 parameter.

For first please check my script "as it's written", then analyze it and adapt the example to your script.
    Here is corrected example of your script:
    Code:
    @echo off

if "%1"=="foo" (goto ADMIN) else (goto NOADMIN)

:NOADMIN
    REM Unprivileged stuff here
    rem [...]
    set myvar=foo

(
       echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"
       echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~f0", "%myvar%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"
       cscript //B //Nologo "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs"

exit /b
    )

:ADMIN
    REM Admin stuff here
    (
       if exist "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs" del /f "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs" 2>&1
       pushd "%CD%"
       CD /D "%~dp0"
    )

echo myvar=%myvar%
    echo %%1=%1
    pause
    rem [...]

8. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Yes, you were always right, I just could not understand it sooner. Apologies.
    I had indeed read your comment, but failed to understand that the variable was in the first parameter "%1", and not as the original name.
    Again, sorry for that.

Just for notes, one last question.
    In this particular example I needed to pass a variable, %myvar%, as parameter for the second CMD. But in general, if no parameters needed to be passed, do I still need to pass the VBS script itself as parameter, "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs", or I could just leave that field empty?

9. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    OK.

I don't know if I understand your question correctly.

The "%TEMP%\elevate.vbs" run this script in elevated rights, for example with higher PowerUser/Admin rights. So, if you don't need to run this, or any, script as elevated, then you don't need to call this function. You can also transfer the "%1" parameter to the third script and/or the first script, for example: "Third_script.cmd %1", and in this script you can check for the "%1" parameter, if you want to know if the script was already elevated.