Password Manager

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shadowstep, Apr 29, 2012.

1. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    #1 shadowstep, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    I'm basically looking for a Password Manager for Windows 7, which is compatible with Google Chrome. I downloaded & tried many, but the main feature that I'm looking for is that it should allow me to enter one password to let me log into all of the saved usernames & passwords with it.

For example, say in the Password Manager, I saved my Facebook, Google, MDL, DeviantArt, etc. usernames and passwords. So now when I start Chrome, the Password Manager asks for that one master password/one time password/something like that, and once I enter that manually, it automatically enters my passwords for the sites which I have stored the login details whenever I open them. If I can't enter the password (i.e. if someone else is using the browser), then it will NOT enter my login details automatically.

I hope I explained as to what exactly I'm looking for. If someone can give me a heads up regarding such a Password Manager, it'll be great!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

2. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Have you tried lastpass.com?

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Nipun, the features you want are common to all password managers, but not all of them play well with chrome. The best, imo is roboform but its not completely compatible with chrome so the toolbar behaves wierdly etc. You can also try lastpass and keypass which are free.

4. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    #4 shadowstep, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    (OP)
    @bluecatfish - Yes, I have. But it does not have the functionality I want. Once the passwords are stored, they are automatically entered into the fields, WITHOUT asking for a master password/one time password/something similar. So that means even if I'm not using the browser, and someone else opens it, my login details are entered automatically. That's not what I want.

@venu - I didn't find this feature in the password managers I tried, including RoboForm and LastPass. I didn't try KeePass though. I'll just try and get back to you. Thanks a lot! Tried KeePass, it's not as complicated, but I still couldn't find that feature.
    P.S. - I tried Passter for Chrome. It has the functionality I want, i.e. whenever Chrome opens up, unless you enter one Master Password, it won't auto-fill the saved login fields. So that means if someone else uses the browser, and he doesn't know the Master Password, the auto-fill won't work. That's what I wanted. :)

5. Rainey

Rainey MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    Firefox has this feature bulit-in, but this means that the browser keeps track of the passwords and that has been proven to not be safe. I assume that plug-in (Passter) for chrome works the same.
    You can run a script on the PC where firefox is installed to get all the saved usernames and passwords. I bet you could do the same for chrome if you save all your passwords in the browser.

It is best to use a real password manager (standalone program) that can truly protect you passwords. IMHO.

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    #6 roirraW "edor" ehT, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Works in Chrome just the same as in Firefox and IE! Supposedly works in Safari, too, but I don't know if that's only the Mac version, or the Windows version as well. Who cares though? ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. shadowstep

shadowstep MDL Member

May 2, 2010
    #8 shadowstep, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    (OP)
    @roirraW "edor" ehT - Yeah, I know. Read about it. But I'm not quite sure of Norton, you know. I've never considered it a "secure" software, if you know what I mean. And above that cloud storage? Spooky. :p

But that, combined with the fact that I never wanted my passwords to be stored online, just locally, was why I decided not to even try Norton Identity Safe. But nevertheless, since you mentioned, I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it turns up. Will be right back with the update buddy. :)

UPDATE: Tried it, works fine. But needs an additional step. I have to close the Vault everytime I'm done surfing. So that whenever I come back, It asks for the master password to open the vault and then stars putting in login details automatically for stored website. Whereas with Passter, it WILL ask for the master password again once you've closed the browser. No additional closing of the vault and stuff required. :)