PC connected to network, no internet access?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cocachris89, Jan 31, 2016.

1. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I have a laptop I'm fixing for a friend that can't connect to my network, by either wire or wireless. It has the network connection box with a yellow exclamation mark in it saying "No Internet Access", however every other computer on my network (wired and wireless devices) are working with any troubles.

I have scanned with MBAM which did return some infections and I cleaned them up however was still unable to connect to the network.

I have tried removing the drivers and reinstalling them from the manufacture.

Safe mode with networking has this same problem as well.

I have performed a SFC and chkdsk and found no corrupt files.

I've seen some reports that McAffee has been the cause for some people, however it's not installed on the laptop.

When I do an ipconfig, I can see it is getting an IP address, and am able to ping computers/websites, however cant browse to any website using IE, Firefox, Chrome. In the adapter settings, I can see it is missing the IPv6 section, which is odd. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns however it didn't help. Have tried setting a static IP but no good.

Have tried a netsh winsock reset with no success.

Have tried turning off Windows firewall, made no difference.

I have used Tweaking.com Windows Repair tool however this didn't fix the problem.

I'm pretty much lost with this problem, I have tried just about everything I can. I suspect it has something to do with IP or DNS however I wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem and if they were able to resolve it.

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Do the browsers have a proxy server set?

3. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    No proxy server set in any of them.

4. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Had this happen alot after malware cleanups,
    Is the DHCP service started ?
    if you cannot start it, try

To use Registry editor to resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

3. R/Click and select Permissions, click Add, type network service, and then click OK .

4. Click to select the Full Control check box in the Allow column of the Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE box, and then click OK > (Repeat for all subkeys).

5. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

6. R/Click and select Permissions, click Add, type network service, and then click OK.

7. Click to select the Full Control check box in the Allow column of the Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE box, and then click OK > (Repeat for all subkeys)

8. Reboot the computer

5. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Unfortunately, that solution didn't solve the problem :weep: Still showing "No internet access"

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I have scanned with MBAM which did return some infections and I cleaned them up however was still unable to connect to the network.

There's your problem... reinstall windows, job done

7. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Yeah... I was hoping to avoid that, if possible.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Would have been quicker than this thread has taken so far

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Go into your device manager and click on Network Adapters. right click on your wired adapter and select Uninstall, Keep the drivers/software when that pops up and reboot. Do the same for your wireless adapter too.That will re-install the adapter(s) and re-set your network settings. Unplug your modem/router for a minute and reconnect. You may need to reboot again after that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    I have tried that too, still the same problem.

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    If there's programs or nfo that You're trying to not lose or reinstall You can try to "Upgrade" to the Same OS version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    huh....
    you did check the wireless switch somewhere on the laptop right?

13. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Checked with wire and wireless. With wireless, im able to see the network, put in the password however it doesn't resolve.

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Have you tried ( I am assuming you are using windows ) :

1. Right click on the network icon on the taskbar
    2. Select "open network and sharing center"
    3. Select "change adaptor settings"
    4. Double click on your adaptor
    5. Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
    6. Click "properties"
    7. Select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    8. Click "OK"
    9. Reboot

I have found some malware changes this to use a specific IP address and subnet which will not connect after cleanup.

15. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Yes, I have tried getting an IP address manually and automatically but with no result

16. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    What if something is dodgy/corrupt with your user profile?
    Create a new admin user, login & see if there's any change.

What brand is the wifi? Has it been added in or shipped with the nb? Have you tried newer/older drivers? Device manager all good?

17. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    The thing is that if it was malware that messed with the network settings in a way that affects even the tray network indicator (which is determined by a system service) it implies that it was able to obtain administrator privileges at some point. And when that's the case it may as well have installed a kernel module that can make it almost impossible to detect.

I agree that a clean install is the best course of action in this case. It's also a good time to make sure to have backups of important data that is on the machine, because if that malware is ransomware you could lose access to all that data.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Firstly, check your Modems/Routers Settings!!
    • DHCP need to be enabled
    • add the Mac addresses for both wired and WiFi to the allowed devices, you could also disable that
    • disable the Firewall in Modem/Router
    • check all other settings regarding Network, etc., etc.

Also, change the Administrator Password in Modem/Router if it's still set to the default from ISP!! Even that may didn't prevent the ISP for to be able to get access to your Modem/Router with their Master-Password, many people knows the defaults password and most could be get over the Internet easily!

Important: Before and after done the changes to Modem/Router, do a Backup of the Firmware for any case!!

After done that, compare the Settings of your computer('s) to those of Modem/Router, special regarding Network (NetMask, Gateway etc.)!

Personally, I use to add all allowed Machine's Mac Addresses to my Modem's/Router's, and also limit some of them in usages just to what they're allowed to do!

Note: All what I've written above, is what I would do to start to solve such problem you have!! What you do on the end of the day, is totally up to yourself!

Good luck.

19. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    I just tested that theory about 4 hours ago; created a new admin user, logged in and same problem.

The laptop is a Asus N56VM, Atheros AR8161/8165 Gigabit ethernet, and Atheros AR9485 wireless network.

20. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    DHCP is enabled by default on the modem,
    Tried adding the MAC addresses to the modem and assigned it an IP, no good.
    Disabled the firewall, no change.
    All network settings seem intact as my other computer can browse the web.

One of the first things I done when I got the modem was change the password. In fact I dont even use the ISP modem, I use a different one with different password etc.