PC Died Today - Looking For Advice On How To Get It Up and Running

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rock Hunter, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    We had a power outage this morning. The computer was on and plugged into an outlet strip that had a surge protected plugin. Of course, the PC shut down abruptly when the power went off. Two hours later the power came back on. I pressed the power button to restart my PC but nothing.

Troubleshooting:

1. Turned the power strip switch off and back on. No help.
    2. Turned the Corsair power supply switch off and back on. No help.
    3. Removed the power line cord at both end and reconnected. No help.

Power supply is a Corsair TX650.
    Motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V LE

My motherboard's power light is on so power is getting to the motherboard.

Now what do you think I should do next?

New power supply?
    New motherboard?
    Something else?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas that you have.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Power supply is, so to speak, the first line of defense for your mobo protection. Even though it's delivering power perhaps is not enough or incorrect, I suggest to try first with a spare asap.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    remove video card,might be fried.
    Use onboard graphics:VGA,RGB connect to a compatible VGA,RGB monitor.
    My PC did the same thing,motherboard light came on,reseated the two ram slots;nothing,removed video card,plugged in VGA/RGB connector to proper RGB/VGA monitor and BAMMMM!!!
    It came on
    Shopping for video card ATM

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    sounds like a power peak (when it come back) which can produce a lot of damage. PS can be affected, perhaps you find a fuse?, MB can be shut down, means a total disaster normally. Call your insurance company for a replacement.
    As Jay mentioned you might be happy with a little wait upon voltage peaks unload but I assume a total fail.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #5 Hadron-Curious, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Check your computer power pack. The fuse is possibly burnt out.

6. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Thank you all for your ideas. I tried removing the NVidia card and using the motherboard video as suggested. No help. Then I went on line to my insurance company and filed a claim. Someone will call me Monday morning. My next step is to pull the power supply and see if it has a fuse.

Again thanks for the ideas.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Good idea, although a bad fuse would not let your PS lite on the mobo. The power outage must rendered it (PS) defective but not completely dead.

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Should take a volt meter to your power supply to make sure its putting out the correct voltage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Since I filed a claim with my homeowners insurance company, I think I'll just hold tight until I talk to them on Monday. If I can get them to pay for the motherboard and power supply then I'll rebuild the machine. I have built my own systems for the past 15 years or more. I built this machine last winter and it was running well until this morning. Meanwhile, I have a laptop to use and it can handle 90% of what I need a computer to do. I'll post here when there is something useful to add.

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    My motherboard's power light is on so power is getting to the motherboard.

try to turn of power supply and press power on button on the comp see if the light on mobo goes out then put power back on and press the power button once more

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Your power supply got killed.
    Sometimes you will get partial power when they die.
    It happened to me recently. The lights went on with the motherboard but it wouldn't turn on.
    Replaced the power supply and it worked fine.

12. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    My question is, how much money if any are you going to save by collecting from your insurance policy. How much is your deductible. As we all know, any claim usually spikes your insurance premium.

13. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Try paper clip test on your power supply papercliptest.jpeg

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes easiest way to test.

15. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I noticed that you haven't mentioned about any beeping sound at all... Usually when you press power button, even if the PC won't boot, there would be few long beeps, short beeps etc...

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    beeps only can occur when there is kind of current running through the speaker. If there is a dead PS, no beeps available

17. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    I got the three beeps on my Asus, changed power supply, no go, removed video card, turned on with onboard graphics enabled with VGA/RGB connection to display, sorry for not mentioning that earlier, oh, and it turned on with the power supply I replaced, so obviously it wasn't the power supply

18. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    OK I will bite. This is new to me!! What will this do? And what am I looking for when doing this.:confused:

19. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Disconnect everything from your power supply except power cord, and than short the pins marked on the picture. If the fan in PSU starts spinning it means that most likely something else is triggering protection in PSU preventing further damage.

20. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #20 Humphrey, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    There is only one green wire and multiple black wires. Jump just one of the black to the green and your power supply will activate as if you pressed the power button on the computer.