PC doesn't boot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jasonzxc, Jun 28, 2020.

1. jasonzxc

jasonzxc MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2019
    I recently installed Windows 10 64 bit and my PC was working properly till yesterday.
    Today when I tried to turn it on by pressing the power button, it starts for few seconds and stops and then again it starts and stops and it keeps repeating itself until I turn off the main power supply.
    Please help!!!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Too little information to guess something.
    Remove all accessories and attachments, unplug the power cord, and in the case if it is a laptop or similar, remove the battery for at least one minute.
    Then place the battery and power cord and try restarting.
    If nothing has changed, try in safe mode - for Windows 10, when the firm or boot logo appears on the screen, turn off the computer three times in a row, then the Boot Options will open on the fourth boot.
    I forgot, you might want to check all connections, including removing and placing back again the hard drive, and the same for all other plug-in connections.
    If this does not work, we can move on to other options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Its a PC i would start by checking the PSU.

4. jasonzxc

jasonzxc MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2019
    #4 jasonzxc, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    (OP)
    Tr
    I tried everything you said.
    Removed all the connections and put it back.
    Removed CMOS battery and RAM and put it back.
    Still the problem persist.
    The processer fan and the PSU fan starts for 2 to 3 seconds after pressing the power button and then stops and again starts for few seconds and stops ,and this keeps on going.
    The led light of the DVD drive and mouse blinks when the fans starts and stops when the fan stops.
    And it doesn't even shows anything on the monitor

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If so, there may be a problem with the power supply or BIOS settings.
    Remove the hard drive (or all hard drives if there are more than 1) and try booting again. If all is the same, try going to the BIOS settings and if successful, look for "Restore Defaults" and restore them and restart computer.
    If nothing still changes, might think the problem is with the power supply or the motherboard. If possible, try another power supply.
    If even then nothing changes, would think, that something wrong with motherboard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jasonzxc

jasonzxc MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks for helping

I removed hard drive and turned it on but unfortunately the problem is same.

So I am going to replace my PSU and hope that it will solve the problem.

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You'll have to try really, it's hard to guess what else could have happened.
    Maybe someone has an idea. I can't think of anything more.

8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like the PSU is the culprit...make sure u get proper PSU for your unit.

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Another thing that can cause this kind of problem is a faulty power button. If you are changing the PSU make sure to check first if the power button is bad.

10. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    bad power supply , replace thermal past in cpu and graphic cards ( for laptop or desktop , replace thermal past every 5 years are the best ways to keep computer life

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The thermal paste only needs to be replaced if you have damaged it yourself, ie you have disconnected the mechanical connections between the processor / graphics card, etc. and the thermal conductors that secure it. In no any other case is a new thermal paste ever needed. Not even if your computer is hundred years old not needed to replace.

12. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    sorry but your have false informations ,

on a computer like desktop don't change thermal past reduce life ,

sincerly computer technician.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. If you want, change this thermal paste every day - just like you change underwear.
    2. But I don't have any data at all. So the data can't be wrong either. And really, I've been an electronicsian for 40+ years. So I don't have to read any strange cowboys recommendations anywhere, it's been a daily thing for me for almost half a century.
    3. Thanks for such great suggestions, but still try to educate yourself, not comment on other people what they should do and how stupid they all are. It would be advisable to stick to the topic and not to comment on other members.
    This is not the first time you have commented on other members, of whom you are actually know at all nothing. Stop once.

14. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    I don't criticize I just give my opinions, I also have work colleagues who are 50 years old and I, the youngster, I find the solution when others have found nothing

the goal is mutual help ,

not life lessons

15. stoppen

stoppen MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    I have been using the same thermal paste for 10+ years. Maybe because I also have a liquid cooled system. But my computer has never showed adverse performance even being clocked to 5.2. Which is good when it's a AMD 8350.

16. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
  17. stoppen

stoppen MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Heat is what kills the thermal paste. With a laptop it just dies sooner due to the inability to provide enough air to cool.
    My desktop is as I stated is liquid cooled all the cpu, memory and video cards. when my system is running at all 8 cores and working autocad. My system don't get above 140f. Therefore my thermal paste does not break down and remember the cpu is clocked 1.2g over stock.

18. Sinessa

Sinessa MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2020
    Do you mind restalling OS again?I think it would be a good idea.

19. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    had a desktop with i7-4790k do same.. tried cpu in my good system and same on off symptom as in othe other computer... sometimes even cpu can short and do that.

20. Kaldius

Kaldius MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    Disconnect the power and the parts again, video card too if it has one, take out cmos battery, after a few minutes press and hold the power button for about 50 seconds, leave it like that overnight, and try reconnecting everything and powering on the next day. I've had this happen, the lingering power in motherboard or psu micro transistors prevented the problem from clearing.