PC freezes after waking from hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jkh334, Aug 2, 2009.

1. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 jkh334, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    About 1 minute after waking my PC from hibernate, it freezes making me have to turn off the PC from the power button. I am running the 7600 rtm 32 bit version on acer aspire 5515. I have disabled hibernate for now and am just using sleep which works fine but its a laptop so hibernate would save the battery better when im carrying it with me and its unplugged. Any ideas on what could cause this or is it just a known bug?

2. nexas

nexas MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2008
    try to renew chipset drivers. If there are no for win7 yet, try to install the latest ones for Vista. Also could be a chance of win7 bug though... I had same problem with Nvidia drivers and Vista.

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    most acer aspire notebook PCs have the problem that you described. my acer notebook PC encountered the same issue 3 years ago. it isn't the fault of the OS (windows xp, windows vista, windows 7). service technicians from acer will advise you to not use the hibernate function. you can disable it in the OS.

4. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009

don't crap on the thread, thats a load of rubbish if ever i've heard it.

the issue is specifically with certain chipset and video drivers.

OP, can i pm you?

5. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Not a driver problem its a bug in windows 7 that has still not been fix, turn off auto-hide the taskbar and the problem will go away, or if you leave your mouse on the taskbar when it goto sleep it will stop the lockup.

6. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009

nope. sorry im running Windows 7 on multiple Acer notebooks with no problems what so ever with hibernate.

Maybe you are all enabling hybrid sleep? if so disable it.

7. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    this bug does not happen on every system, and theres a few people out there calling hibernation when you screen just goto sleep, when they are 2 different things.

8. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009
    if its happening just via sleep, then the problem is hybrid sleep.

if its having after hibernation, then something is wrong with the system itself, its not a windows 7 issue.

I've read hibernation freezes to occur because of bad memory settings or chipset drivers,.. and since i can only go on the acer notebooks i have here... then i can't agree with it being a Acer specific problem, nor a hibernate problem.

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman MDL Member

Jun 5, 2007
    can you reply objectively without putting in expletives/vulgarities? let's keep this forum free of expletives/vulgarities, shall we?

10. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009
    seriously, i don't know who told you acer has a problem with hibernation, but your source is feeding you crap.

The problem is explicitly with specific devices and device drivers and can almost always be overcome without having to disable hibernation.

11. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    To bad hybrid sleep is only a setting on laptops not decktops, and because i have a decktop that is not related to my problem.

12. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009

then the problem is hardware related. check it out. Hibernate works perfectly for myself on my 3 computers, and the various techie friends also using it.

13. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Hibernate works fine for me its not a hardware problem, my problem is turning on auto hide the taskbar then letting my screen go on sleep, when coming out of sleep my system would of locked up, i can get it to come out of the lockup hitting ctrl-alt-del and waiting about 40sec.

14. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    yeah many times it is related to a device driver getting stuck when shutting down. Other times it can be related to bad APIC settings in the BIOS itself.

Best thing to do if it is an Intel system is grab the latest chipset drivers and install them using the -overall command line switch.

Also check your event log there might be something in there that will help.

Most of the time it is not OS specific, because I have seen it happen with XP, Vista, and 7. Haven't heard about this on Linux or OS X, so it is probably a driver.

15. Squall-Leonhart

Jul 23, 2009
    do you have nvidia hardware?

it might be related to the alt-tab issue people are having in the 185 and higher drivers.

16. acerola

acerola MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    Are you using wow7 or similar loader? If so, the older version of grub causes some freezes on my notebook. Updating grub solved the problem for me.

17. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    yer i have a nvidia video card but this problem im having was befor the RC come out and befor the 185 drivers were even out, and im not using any loaders at all OEM, but it only happens when auto hides on the taskbar.

18. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I have a vista/win7 dual boot and its never been a problem on Vista. Only windows 7 both with the RC1 and RTM versions

19. usb2007

usb2007 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    facing same problem with my HP DV6189EA laptop..if i resume from hibernation then it gets so slow..my network remains unplugged and some running softwares dont open and i cant kill them from the process list..ive to finally press the power buttom to reboot