PC freezes randomly

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by matej, Feb 19, 2012.

1. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I have no idea what I can do anymore... My PC sometimes freezes at random. I had this problem a lot in Windows 7 x64. The problem virtually disappeared in the WDP so I thought it was a software-related issue, but lately it's happening in the WDP too. When I have music playing, a loud buzzing noise comes out of the speakers. I noticed that when that happens, my CPU goes up to 100% (strangely only Core 1). I did a memtest and that came out clean.
    My specs:
    OSes: W7 x64 and WDP x64
    MB: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
    8GB memory (don't know which brand)
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670
    HDD: 1000 GB WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1

Please help, I don't want to send back my PC for repairs because that can take up to 6 weeks...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    #2 gabris[LT], Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Hello, so I think that it can be one of the following 3 things:
    1. Can be motherboard failure.
    2. Can be BIOS failure(try to reset it, if not helps flash it to newer version).
    3. Can be driver conflicts.

If Core1 goes up to 100% then, because of which process/program?

3. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I wouldn't say it's complete motherboard failure, because windows 8 kinda solved it temporarily.. I didn't pay attention to the processes, because most of the time i end up rebooting. I might consider flashing the BIOS, but i'll consult a friend of mine who has a computer repair company.
    Thanks anyway :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You have a software issue, get the latest chipset, video, network and audio drivers and check for any BIOS updates

5. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Haven't I already said that? :D

6. mexus

mexus MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2007
    Maybe an overheating problem or a power supply problem... (this happens when some of the capacitors have gone bad).
    If you can open your computer clean it from dust to prevent overheating and change the thermal compound of the CPU (if it's older then a year and it's not Arctic Cooling MX2), check your PSU voltages with a voltmeter.

7. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    #7 matej, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    (OP)
    I'm pretty sure it's not overheating. It's pretty much stable at 50-60 degrees. I have my PC for about 9 months now.
    I'm gonna look for drivers, but this problem is in both W7 and W8 (Although it doesn't happen in W8 as often as in W7). I suspect the BIOS and there is an update available (i think), but I'm too scared to flash it myself :D

8. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Sometimes my PC recovers after a few seconds, but most of the time I have to reboot o_O

9. peppe1945

peppe1945 MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    please try memtest utility