PC Games In A VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Pearj, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Pearj

Pearj MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
    #1 Pearj, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Hey all - got some newb questions for ya..

We're considering going back to Linux as our main squeeze..

One reason we were trying Windows was to play video games, so we could get rid of our PlayStation.

If we are using Debian as the host, and installed Windows 10 in a VBox, could we play games full screen?

----

This laptop has an NVMe disk, 32 GB Ram, Gen 8 i7, Intel UHD 630, Nvidia 1060 Ti w/ 6 GB vram.

Debian will be aware of the CPU, GPU and RAM, so the VBox should also aware. The VBox would run W10 and have Steam installed.

Not sure if it matters, but we run HDMI from the Laptop to our TV, a 55" 4K Bravia, which is probably an extra strain.

Will Battlefield V (heavy) be playable fullscreen without ripping etc?

I'd like to get opinions, and your experience before I go reinstalling stuff.. Thanks!

2. iFlaX

iFlaX MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I doubt it will be a pleasant experience, specially for a heavy game like Battlefield V (Will most likely be garbage in VM). I say you should probably dual boot. I am however not an expert on this topic, never really use any virtual environments.

3. Pearj

Pearj MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
    I understand - I'm wanting to stay away from dual-booting, there's been a few times I've done something in W10 that overwrote Grub and I had to reinstall it after using boot options in BIOS to get to Debian.

I didn't think PC Games would do well in a VBox, but wasn't sure, and thought it might be an alternative.

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    The day games(the one that matters) run smooth in virtual machines will be the day many gamers would leave windows.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Install grub to the linux root partition and use the Windows loader to load grub to boot linux.

6. Pearj

Pearj MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
    Will you explain what you mean? Or, point me someplace?

I know to install windows first then linux, so grub takes precedence over mbr. When I boot, grub is displayed, and I have the option to boot into windows. I don't know anything about the MBR

7. Pearj

Pearj MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
  8. padz535

padz535 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    The same thing with other people's responses here, I guess dual-boot will be the solution if you want to have a smoother gameplay experience, because Virtualbox won't cut it.
    else, you can wait for upcoming cloud-based game services like Google Stadia or Nvidia GeForce NOW (but if only available to your country) but I doubt cloud-based game services can't be comparable with self installed games when it comes to latency/lag.