PC Goes Off From Time To Time

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mishtag, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    My son computer is going off from time to time while he is using it, from the manufacture the pc had Win 7, but I added another HD with Win 10 (that was long time ago with no problem), and he is currently using Win 10, so I don't know if the problem is also happens if he is using Win 7, however, it might be that the CPU temperature exceed the limit, and I was looking for a SW that warning the user once the temperature is high, but I only found SW giving temperature degree, so is there a SW giving a warning once the CPU got hot? Or is it possible to be another problem?
    Thanks for your help in advance,

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Does it blue screen or does it restart or just shut completely down? If it restarts, you need to set it to not do that and list the error message and faulting program on the BSOD, if any. What does the system log say? These kinds of intermittent problems can be very hard to diagnose, but you need to start by understanding any clues that may be present.

Why do you think it's temp related? My experience with high CPU temps is Intel processors will slow down whereas AMD processors will keep running and sustain damage. What CPU do you have and what temps are you seeing? How long has it been since you blew the dust and cobwebs out?

Have you scanned with several programs for malware and such?

I just yesterday took an old but nicely performing desktop running Windows 10 out of service because of a similar problem; it would just lock up ... become totally unresponsive. I swapped out every component over time except the motherboard to no avail. It used to lock up every month or so, then a couple of weeks ago that became every time I booted up. I finally just gutted the machine and recycled the case and mobo. There came a time when I needed to cut my loses and move on. You may have gotten to that point if your problem persists.

3. 2hot6ft2

2hot6ft2 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2016
    Core Temp is a compact, no fuss, small footprint, yet powerful program to monitor processor temperature and other vital information.

What makes Core Temp unique is the way it works. It is capable of displaying a temperature of each individual core of every processor in your system!:g:

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    • If you want help, is needed that you give information about the computer (mark, model, CPU, etc)
    • what means "the temperature is high" - what is high?
    • When the computer was cleaned up physically, it means cleaned from dust, grease on the radiators and on fan impellers etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    fist thanks to all your advises, and second, let us start step by step:
    1. the computer is completely shutting down like when you do it manually.
    2. I am planning to clean the PC from dust this weekend, I used to do that with all the computers that I have at home but didn't have time for this one for a while (more than a year).
    3. I thought it is the CPU temperature because I have read similar problem that was caused by the CPU temperature.
    4. I will provide more computer info later on since I am currently at work.
    5. I will try the suggested SW (core temp).
    6. I will check the link provided by Tiger-1, (just checked it and will try the HW monitor SW).

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #7 kaljukass, Jan 11, 2017
  8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @mishtag ok dude, waiting more info and I hope that you solve the problem

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #9 lobo11, Jan 11, 2017
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #10 Hadron-Curious, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Clean the system and add fresh thermo paste to the processor. That will possibly solve the problem.

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Does the computer shut off after a consistent time (like 30 minutes)?

12. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I am unable to post links due to post count. For prime95 go to MajorGeeks.com

Open HWmonitor @ Tiger suggestion or any temp/voltage SW you are happy with, and run Prime95.

Prime95 is a stability testing utility. Your "time to time' waiting will be very short and you can monitor volts/temps while its doing its stress test with volt/temp SW, so the shutdown of pc wont be so random*.
    *On another possibilty, the power supply is defective.
    This prime95 is used for stability test by overclockers including myself.

13. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The Bat knows. On the main board of the computer I just took out of service, several capacitors looked like little hot air balloons: all swollen and ready to pop.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @PhaseDoubt: I know too. Electrolytic capacitors have about a 7 year life before they begin to dry up / fail.

Although Tantalum capacitors are usually sealed, they wear out as well.

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]I was surprised at how long my computer in question lasted. It had an AMD single core Athlon 3200+ 32 bit CPU and 2GB RAM. When new, it was a very nice office/home business computer. I think I built the computer in 2004 as it initially had XP, then 7, then Linux Mint and finally Windows 10. It even ran fairly well with 10. But sooner or later, thousands of hours of run time caught up with it. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend the day I disassembled it.

Computers are sort of like wounded animals, you have to recognize when they're dying and end the misery.
    [/FONT]

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  18. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #20 PhaseDoubt, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017