PC keeps restarting...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Notorious791, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Notorious791

Notorious791 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2018
    Hi,
    I am not 100% sure if this is a software or hardware issue but are more inclined to believe its hardware so that is why I'm posting it here.
    Basically here is my build:
    Core i5 750 (lga 1156)
    8gb ram
    gtx 750ti
    Asus p7p55 lx motherboard.

I recently upgraded the GPU and Ram. At first the PC performed miles better than before and I also changed the thermal paste. The problem started 4 to 5 days after the changes. The PC suddenly started shutting off and restarting. Here is what I've tried so far:
    1. I thought maybe the problem was the IO shield but I removed the motherboard and again installed it making sure the contacts align correctly.
    2. I then thought the problem could be the power supply but I also changed that with a brand new one (thermaltake toughpower 750).

I don't understand what the problem could be. I feel like something could be short circuiting but can't narrow it down. I have checked the normal culprits but it didn't solve it. Previously it allowed me to boot into windows and I checked in the event viewer and found nothing helpful as to the cause of the shutdowns. It was random: sometimes it would shutdown after 2 min or sometimes after 15 or 20 min. But now its barely able to boot till the windows login screen and usually restarts before that. I am really confused as to what could be the cause of the issue. The PC was finally performing well and I hoped to get 1 or 2 years use out of it.

Can anybody here suggest any solutions? If it would be helpful, I can post a 1 to 2 min video I made in which it restarts a couple of times.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    CPU temp OK?

Tried building it from scratch outside of the case to rule out a short?

You replaced the RAM, did you try the old RAM again?

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    GPU upgrade :g:. Try a Linux live media to rule out software problems in Windows caused by the GPU change.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It'll be fine on wood, the PSU is grounded via the mains lead, the PSU connects ground pins to the board (Don't put hardware on the outside of anti-static bags, they are only anti-static inside

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Also try to update the BIOS if you cleared the CMOS earlier on.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Just for the heck of it, try rebooting Windows into Safe Mode and leave it on for a while. If the problem goes away, then it's probably a driver-related issue. If it persists, it's probably more of a hardware or BIOS issue.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    That's what I think, too. Something could be short circuiting if some diffuse conditions are met.
    A reasonable way would be to go back to old hardware config and re-test to check if the issue has been introduced by the new hardware.

If not....

Since any hardware change comes with mechanical impact (on the mainboard) a latent condition can suddenly take effect....
    (For instance 2 conductor paths are close to short themselves but never did it before....)

I once changed a GPU..and the PC stopped to boot. I thought OK. I re-tested with the old one. Did not boot....
    I disassembled the PC step by step and finally had to notice that the mainboard did not survive. I changed GPU as usual as I did many times before....the GPU worked on a replacement board.
    Until today I do not know why the mobo has died and needed to be replaced.

Anyway I'd boot Linux live just to know how another OS is behaving....and when it re-boots (curiosity)

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm, possible issue with PSU try check again

11. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I assume the bios gives you just one beep when starting , I would put the old gpu unit back in and see if the new one has a problem , only use one memory stick when booting and start in safe mode if it still crashes change the memory stick and try again "to check to check new ram" . don't have any thing plugged into your usb ports "except mouse and keyboard" leave one side of the case open and listen for sounds of a fan ramping up trying to cool something down , reconnect anything you connected to the motherboard and gpu, "good luck troubleshooting"

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  13. Notorious791

Notorious791 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2018
    Thanks a lot for all the advice.
    Some concerns I have:
    1. I was thinking it could be BIOS related too since sometimes it restarts before 5 sec of pushing the start button. Not enough time for it to have loaded windows yet. But I have a concern. If I flash a new BIOS and it restarted during that without warning, won't that brick my motherboard?
    2. The PSU is brand new and I only changed the PSU thinking that's where the problem was, but the new one is behaving very similar to the old one. So I don't think its PSU.
    3. I would like to test the ram as mentioned above. hopefully it will stay on for a couple of hours.
    I'm currently thinking of the BIOS option. If someone can answer my question so that i know whether its safe to proceed or not.?

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If it doesn't run then it's without question a hardware issue. Memtest runs in a dos like method, without an operating system. Only test one stick of memory at a time, and you might even have to test each stick of memory in each slot to see if the issue is within a memory slot on the board.
    I would also pull the board out of the case and test it that way to determine if there is some kind of short within the case

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    In my Asus MoBo (P8Z77 V-PRO), there's a function called MemOK!. IIRC, it automatically sets the RAM speed.

If you run MemOk with more than one RAM stick in, it can get confused and incorrectly set the clocking speed.
    If you haven't set the RAM speed yourself, try checking that and making sure that the RAM speed set in the BIOS is the same as the RAM.

17. Notorious791

Notorious791 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2018
    Okay a couple of updates.
    I took out the motherboard and am now running it without a case on my desk. I even attached it to my old PSU because I knew the problem wasn't with the PSU.
    I started it up and it started without a hitch. No problems whatsoever. I did notice that there were two additional standoffs in my case that were not being used by my motherboard. Strange... they could be causing the problem but if that is the case I've been using this PC for 8 years previously in the same configuration. It didn't shutoff or show this behavior then. A little confused but I'm still tinkering away. If my setup stays on for a couple of hours without any hickups while I'm testing I'll maybe test the ram and update my BIOS. I still haven't got the answer to my BIOS question and thus don't want to risk it turning off during the update. I'll keep posting updates over here... in the mean time does someone know a definitive answer to my BIOS update problem?

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #20 Joe C, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    No image on that ram stick

If you really do not need a bios update, then don't try to fix something that is not broken. It does sound like a very strange fluke that this board ran for that long with the standoff's in the wrong place!
    I suspect that there must have only been a fraction of a millimeter between the board that those stand offs. Installing the new memory probably flexed the board enough to come into contact and short it out