PC restarts on log on

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Musicacbx, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Musicacbx

Musicacbx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    Not sure what the problem is but I am posting here mainly for support for common issues or known issues with windows loader for Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I installed windows 7 then used the latest version of Windows Loader to activate it. It activated fine but now when I boot up most of the time when it tries to load the user account for the PC it instantly powers off and resets occasionaly it will actually get to the desktop and then it will work fine.

I am really just asking if it's possible that the windows loader is doing this? As from what I understand it is around that time that it tricks windows.

Here is my motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 I saw somthing in support about UEFI boards having issues or something.

I am also trouble shooting the hardware of the PC currently it is doing memtest86+ to test the RAM I will swap also just swap it with RAM from my working PC to make sure. I ran Seatools on the hard drive all the test passed but I am going to swap in a new one just to test. I also have another PSU I can put in to test.

The only components I can't test is CPU and Motherboard but they are both brand new so if I run out of options I will take a 50/50 chance and RMA 1 of them.

I am also looking in to the drivers I herd it might be sound driver issue.

If you need any more information I will give any I can.

I normally would just troubleshoot the problem on my own but this PC is for my GF's birthday and I don't have enough time before I need to give it her.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Boot in safemode to check if its a driver issue and next time you managed to log in, check the event logs

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Was it doing this before you used the loader? You can always uninstall the loader and see if it still does it since you can reinstall the loader at any time.

Change the default setting to NOT restart on faulting.
    This will likely give you a BSOD which may give you clues to what's causing your unintended restarts. Right Click My Computer, Properties, click the Advanced tab, Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery then deselect Automatically restart.

4. Musicacbx

Musicacbx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    Right thanks for the quick reply!

So if I just use the windows loader and press uninstall it will go back to being completely untouched and then if the problem goes away I will know if it was or was not the cause?

Even logs just say system shut down unexpectedly Critical Error.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    When a problem occurs, what you generally start doing (unless you KNOW the exact cause already) is elimination of possible causes. IF uninstalling the loader is followed by cessation of the problem then the likely cause of the problem is the loader. However, I kind of doubt that's what's causing your error, but you just never know until you eliminate it as a cause. If you uninstall the loader, do not have the problem then reinstall the loader and get the problem back that tells you something. Most often, problem elimination is a process, not a single event.

One thing you also should always do is consider what you did to the system just before the problem started. Hence the question about installing the loader.

Yep BSODs are critical errors. However, if you don't change the restart default, that's likely all you're ever going to know. A BSOD does give you clues to things such as faulting file and so forth.

But I'll tell you, if this is a brand new installation, I'd consider wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows. Where did you get your version of Windows? If you downloaded it, did you verify the HASH? You can get the .iso file from many places, but if you got it somewhere other than this forum, or a link supplied by this forum, you're taking a chance with malware and the like

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    on boot Press F8 then in the list will says Disable Automatic restart on failure.

u can also repair my computer= removes bootloader.

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ Musicacbx
    Boot to safe mode and reinstall the loader with the legacy option toggled.

@ LatinMcG
    That works for most systems, but if you preserve the boot code (not a default option) then its a little more permanent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Musicacbx

Musicacbx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    uninstalled the loader and it still restarted.

swapped hdd tried reinstalling windows on that known good hdd and it restarted during installation.

the installation my friend has used successfully on his pc and it is over a usb drive so not a bad disc.

I have ruled out the loader, the hdd, the installation.

PSU/RAM is my next to test. The reboot is random and can't be predicted or replicated at any specific point.

any other opinion on what the problem could be and if someone could point me towards another copy of windows 7 ultimate iso just so I can absoluteness make sure it is not that as well.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  10. Musicacbx

Musicacbx MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    swapped the PSU over and it hasn't restarted yet. Been 4 hours.

Going to run prime95 on it for 8 hours tonight make sure its stable.