PC won't boot, BIOS changed from English to Spanish

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dtl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. dtl

dtl MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    #1 dtl, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    Hi everyone,

My kid told me this morning that the monitor blacked out while he was playing Wizard101. I cannot turn it off by press the power button, and I had to press and hold it to shut it down.

Then we had this for a second time.

I cannot turn on it, it was stuck on stage of a black screen after windows 7 logo played.

I used PC's manufacturer's self test utility, and it said memory failed.

I saw a blue screen, but I didnot write down the code, unfortunately

I tried memtest2.01 from a bootable CD, it gave an error after having tested for a while, and it's frosen.

I unluged one mem stick a time (I have 2 in total), still black screen(cannot see anythying). Reseated them back.

I unpluged power cord, and pressed power button to discharge capacitors, then pluged power cord back.

Tried to turn on it and I noticed that when I saw **'s BIOS logo, it give info in Spanish, which is supposed to be in English, I entered BIOS(F10), and everything WAS in Spanish! I tried to navigate there, and it frozed there. I tried this twice, same thing again.

After all step I mentioned above, I cannot boot it any more, even I removed everything I can unplug, including HDDs, CDROMs, and dial-up modem, no luck.

My PC: (pc info removed) my kid was using his restricted account

CPU was not overheated, all fans work in good conditions; when trying to boot it up, it gives no beeping, even I take out both RAM sticks; having cleared CMOS, no luck

Is it virus? Is it MB's self-destrcution? or life-time ends naturally?

Any suggestions, advice will be appreciated!

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Do you have new memory, maybe both sticks are bad ? The only other thing I can see other than the memory is that it's exhibiting issues similar to the horrible Asus M2N series, might be board going bad. You need to sort out memory first and see if it stops the freezing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dtl

dtl MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    Hi R29k and Detection, thanks a lot for your response.

I tested the 2 RAM sticks on another computer with memtest, it said "Passed", and they worked fine with the computer, so I believe RAMs are ok.

The last 2 things I can think of are: BIOS was overwritten either accidentally or by virus, which is unbelieveable; the MB is finished.

The problem is: if only BIOS data was ruined, and the computer cannot boot, how can we reflash the BIOS on our own? definitely to buy a new MB is much easier than to repair it.

Any further suggestions on the computer/MB please?

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dtl

dtl MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks, Yihetuan. there are no 八国联军 here. :p:p

I know you are trying to reset BIOS to factory default, but there is no GO, since I cannot hear any beeping, and I even donot think that POST has started.

6. dtl

dtl MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks, R29k.

I've read the thread you mentioned, and I beliieve their issues are a bit different from mine, because mine has no beeping at all. But definitely I'll try to contact HP, and I'll give an update of the issue, if there will be something new.

7. dtl

dtl MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    After a few minutes' reading, HP's agent told me: MB is finished; and they were trying to charge me a price of the whole PC when I purchesd it to replace my MB. Does it sound like an unarmed robbery?

If there is nothing left I can save it, I'd go find a new MB myself.

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011