PC wont Boot : (

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jime1, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Today I turned ON my Desktop PC but to my surprise the Internet wasn't working on it (Ping was ok but no internet on browsers !) !
    So I put it in Hibernate mode as-usual and went on to do my homework telling myself that I will fix the issue later.
    Then later on I tried to turn it ON but it wont boot up at all !
    I opened the chassis and cleaned it with a blower, but to no good.
    I noticed that the SMPS/PSU fan is turning ON but at a slower speed than usual.
    The CPU fan is at stand still. : (
    I have a card reader installed on the chassis which has a red led light, usually that light in ON but now it is very dim and blinking continuously.
    What could have went wrong with my PC ?

TIA

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    start by taking peripherals off of it one at a time to see if something has died in one of them.
    I've got one here I got down to the cpu and the memory, still no boot.

Monty Python's parrot

...T

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    How old is this pc and what type (brand and wattage) of power supply do you have in this pc?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Sounds like a bad PSU

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bad psu or firmware efi got corrupt and lost MAC address on lan.
    motherboard model ?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Still initializing beep?
    Mostly mainboard or PSU....

Unplug anything external first (LAN as well).....
    Check if you can enter BIOS setup.

To spot the broken hardware it'd best to try anything first with a replacement PSU before you dismantle the PC part by part.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    sounds like not enough volts/ bad power supply..only one bad cheap capacitator can be enough.

8. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    The PC is about 9 years old and the 450W PSU is of local brand (common and cheap here)

9. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Ya Sir, I'm afraid its the PSU as I check it without any peripherals.
    The Mobo green LED turns on, but no startup or boot : (
    But I checked the PSU itself by the green and black cable short circuit, it turned ON and its fan ran at full speed ! WTH !
    Mobo Intel DG41RQ

10. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Not a single Beep Sir ! : (
    I unplug all drives and external cables but no good, no CPU fan ON, no boot.
    Cannot enter BIOS : (

I wish I could get a replacement PSU from somewhere..

11. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sir, I opened the PSU and noticed that one cap was just a bit puffy than all the others !
    : (

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    at least we have a clue now. not the end of the world.if only manufacturers would bother to put decent caps into their products it would save their customers so much trouble.

13. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    PSU is not so expensive today :)

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hmmm.
    It indicates that it's probably the PSU. But it also still could be the mainboard. The PSU (operation under load) might fail, anyway it still provides current.....

Nowhere else than at 'no boot issues' I have encountered big surprises....
    For instance my brother's PC did not boot anymore...until we've unplugged LAN.....it only boots without LAN cable! Why? I do not know...he uses WLAN now, LOL.

PSU and mainboard are the most important parts of a PC and I usually buy well known brands. I use Asus boards and Corsair PSU.

Since we can easily unplug all the cables from the PSU itself we can try a replacement PSU much easier than before with old PSUs...
    When I suspect the PSU could be the reason I borrow one from a friend first to test and only then I buy a new one....

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If that PSU is 9 yrs old, I would replace it even if it worked. Those things are kinda like vegetables, and they do deteriorate with age.
    You should replace it just because it is 9yrs old regardless if it works or not

17. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sir,
    The Original PSU of the Desktop died rather quickly, I think the current one is the third PSU in 9 years if I count correctly.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah well....if I'd follow that suggestion where would I stop replacement in advance?
    Target are capacitors and the mainboard has such as well...
    Last month I scrapped an old 486 with OS/2....anything was still working, but the scientific device which it had controlled has been scrapped as well and replaced....

Investment in a good (more expensive) PSU pays off...long term...

19. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    My solution to the problem described in post 2 is like LatinMcG's
    I bought 3 point of sale Optiplexes for $20 each, locally, no shipping
    and upgraded them with Q6600s from ebay at $20
    so now I've got a system and 2 backups

My old Compaq doesn't owe me anything I ran it 24/7 for 10 years

...T

20. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011