Peculiar Netstat Output (Microsoft fighting back?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by topdnbass, Oct 26, 2009.

1. topdnbass

topdnbass MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
  2. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    "activate"? That's all that says? Another server address would come in handy.

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    notice that all the IP's are 127.0.0.1? That specific IP is used for local stuff only. For example if you want to block a site using Hosts then type 127.0.0.1 then the site you want. This works by loopbacking a packet from your computer back to your computer so I would not worry about it dude. If you can get another IP or something then you can block them individually using your firewall

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. myexige

myexige MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    You are probably running a cracked version of an Adobe product!!!

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    netstat always only shows the word before the first dot, so that would probably be activate.microsoft.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    yea, lol, this will also happen if you have any entry in your Hosts file like adobe cracks or system mechanic cracks

7. W0lfdale

W0lfdale MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #7 W0lfdale, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Rerun it again using the following command:
    Code:
    netstat -bf

8. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    127.0.0.1 activate.microsoft.com

100% he has that line added in the HOST file.

Nothing to worry dude. En contraire that line is for your own benefit. It blocks MS to snoop into your pc.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I just noticed something VERY odd!

Because i was curious i just ran a netstat -bfo and found that there are 4 connections to mpa.microsoft.com via firefox! (Actually i have that address in my hosts file so normally it should be routed to the loopback.) Anyhow, i thought how odd and exited firefox and opened opera instead. No connections to mpa. Then i got even more curious and openend thunderbird, just to see what happens. And in deed the same thing happened: 4 connections to mpa via thunderbird!

So unless i am totally misinterpreting this now, something in 7 seems to be hijacking the executables of the standard email and browser programs in order to communicate right through the firewall with the mpa server. Obviously i will have to do more investigating here, but perhaps you could check if you experience something similar.

commandline: netstat -bfo

10. topdnbass

topdnbass MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm quite aware of the etc/hosts file and the localhost loopback "phenomenon".
    The thing that worried me is how come it says state established instead of state closed?
    Just making sure that the address in hosts is preventing access.

Adding the -bf tag made me see it was indeed adobe :D
    So nothing to worry about yet fellas.

@Phazor i'm not getting anything like that, but we should investigate.

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well i can say that much: It is 100% reproducible here.

FF and TB off: No conns to mpa.

FF and TB on: 4 conns to mpa via FF and 4 more via TB.

FF and TB off: No conns to mpa.

I can repeat that endlessly...

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #12 Dolorous Edd, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  13. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I have only 3 plugins in FF, namely AcrobatReader, MozillaDefault and ShockWave.

14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009

Attached Files:

16. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I too have this same thing happening. However, I see it with Avast and Utorrent if FF is not running.

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I have a genuine retail key and I do not see this behavior. Been running cports for a while and nothing. No call backs to microsoft at all.

18. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Just rebooted to Vista, which has a loader as well, and get the very same thing. I see it with AppleMobileDevice from iTunes.

19. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Same here.. on retail keys..

20. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Guy's
    firstly 127.0.0.1 is the internal loop back ip address for your machine and yes you will get a connection established but only to your machine and not the said site - also if you have hostlist blocking microsoft mpa and office then you will get the same result - pannic when it dont say 127.0.0.1 :D:D:D

you can also check out the sysinternal's site for tool's to monitor connection and all sort's of monitoring tool's all free...

I can assure you that everything is ok with what you are getting on netstat if you are not sure try tracert to 127.0.0.1 and you will just get one hop to 127.0.0.1 :)

let me know how you get on :) TA !