PeerBlock and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mikorist, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #1 Mikorist, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    not running a program that hasn't been updated in 2 years

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Porkrinds

Porkrinds MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    Also, running Peerblock does not prevent your IP address from showing up in a BitTorrent swarm. This is useless to protect you from copyright trolling agencies.

As to using this to block telemetry or whatever, it might work, but I'd rather trust a firewall software (or even better, hardware).

4. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    I don't believe one bit of the above FUD. I only trust myself.:p

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So what is it good for then?

6. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #6 Mikorist, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    (OP)
    "PeerBlock is useless", "PeerBlock is crap" plastered all over the web by the many, as many people who pump constantly Bittorrent/µTorrent's advice against iblocklists to spread FUD about that .

I do not listen to anyone's advice , and I'm happy:cool:

7. DEBKOL35

DEBKOL35 MDL Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I just started using it since few hours...first time...I think I love it :))) net speed has increased...I can see its blocking from ads to unwanted ms connections... even auto update :) happy to use it.

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I have heard good things about Peer Block from other members here. One of which is quite knowledgeable about the inner workings of Windows. :)

IMHO, having all of the information about it in one easily accessable place is a great idea. If someone has a problem with Peer Block, Hopefully they will post it here as well.

@Porkrinds: There have been instances where 'HOSTS' did not work, because a particular IP address was "whitelisted" inside of the Windows code. That poses a major concern.

And yes. I agree that a security appliance is the best defense. But cost may make it impossible for many members to protect themselves in this fashion.

And we must also remember that some members are not in a position to replace the firmware of their routers with a more secure version.

:MJ

9. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Because there's no need to be updated . You just need to know how to configure it and it'll work great.

10. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    This.

Although it would be great if it would auto-start on startup on a limited account.

11. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    Peerblock isn't a foolproof way of blocking telemetry though, because the OS only needs one opportunity to send everything it collected and peerblock won't protect you 100% of the time.

12. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #12 Mikorist, Aug 8, 2015
    (OP)
  13. Mikorist

Mikorist MDL Member

Dec 26, 2012
    #13 Mikorist, Aug 8, 2015
    (OP)

PeerBlock does not to be able to protect you 100%, because there's no such thing in world that can protect you 100% of the time.:eek:

The most secure OS in the world is ANY operating system on ANY machine NOT physically accessible by intruders and NOT connected to the internet.:g:

Also the popular ipblock lists which PeerBlock uses do not and can not have absolutely all IPs and organizations in them. And that's not PeerBlock's fault. :biggrin:

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    it desperately needs updating to help solve the issue that they promised to fix since 2 years which is no auto start skipping of UAC in Windows 8

15. agalipe1

agalipe1 MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    Great program,;) I have also been using it for years

16. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Also needs to be upgraded as a service in windows but that too has fallen to the wasteside. The main developer has pretty much given up on the project which is too bad. I've been with peerblock sense the very beginning. Was the very first voluteer to test PB when developer forked from peerguardian. I Am still a moderator at the forums and I still to this day use PB religiously always.

17. windowsguru

windowsguru MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2012
    I use the country block lists and you can block a whole Country IE the USA from your computer There is Country block lists
    for it at the Blocklists web site under Country and they are updated lists

18. jmacie

jmacie MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I got caught when I was using Peerblock and BT and dwld a tv show. Peerblock does not prevent your IP address from showing up in a Torrent swarm. Peerblock is useless to protect you from copyright trolling agencies.
    FUD is not an appropriate description when someone is speaking about the inadequacies of Peerblock. That does not mean Peerblock is useless, just MPAA and RIAA bots and sniffer software see swarms clearly, that's how they caught me.

19. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I used it because it used to cut down on "wasted data" in my torrent clients. That's not a problem for me these days so I don't use it anymore.