Pentium 4 3.2E GHz Prescott install aftermath (Advice NEEDED!!)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Deleted member 185298, Sep 3, 2011.

Hey everyone. As some of you may remember i asked for help here about 4 months ago for my old P4 pc repair and managed to do it successfully. After the install, however, i found that now my pc was making even more noise than before, but to tell you the truth, i couldnt be bothered to open it up again. it worked then perfectly and still does now.

The other day, one of my cousins asked me to repair their old p4 computer, which was subject to a corrupted windows. I installed windows 7 and then cleaned out the inside for good measure, and set up everything. But i noticed that their computer made no noise whatsoever. This puzzled me as my computer IS SO LOUD. i did some research on Pentium 4's and as it turns out i think i have put my thermal paste on wrong. Instead of putting it in the middle and then putting the heatsink on, i spread it, while the proper way is to put a rice grain sized blob in the middle. I was considering putting it on again, correctly this time, and also thought i should check my cpu temp from my bios. It says:

Current Cpu Temp: 60c
    Current Fan Speed: 4687 RPM

I just wanted to ask is it worth putting the thermal paste on again? i dont have much left.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #2 x86, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hmmmm.... coretemp told me 20c and mobo bios told me 60c, so i decided to reapply arctic silver 5. Now mobo tells me 50c. its a tiny bit quiter too, but still loud. any other tips?

also, is it possible that my heatsink and fan just plain suck? its coolermaster. would it be worth investing in a pentium 4 stock fan?

and yes, i know how poor i look right now, BUT i ASSURE you people, i have a core i3 pc too. i just wanna keep this one good as well.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I am unclear regarding your perception of loud. It can't be completely mute when it does spin! Try and get used to it :glare:

Poor? I am on a 2.6GHz P4 and have no shame about it at all. And neither should you, as long as it does what its supposed to do. And by the way, I am using the stock fan and ArcticSiver thermal paste as well. No problems at all. I don't think there is anything wrong with the coolermaster as long as it keeps the temp down...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. #5 Deleted member 185298, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    (OP)
    well it just makes a sort of loud whirring sound, and under that it makes a sort of fingers-across blackboard sound every 10-20 seconds. the blackboard sound isnt that loud though. i guess all p4's are like that. im not even that sure my cousins pc is a p4. i think it might even be a pentium D.

thanks dude. to be fair, i only use my refurbished p4 pc, cos all my data is on it. the only thing i see good about the i3 is the processor's speed and nothing else. may i just point out that intel hd integrated graphics SUCK. i have a really old nvidia fx5500 in my pentium 4 and hd videos look much better in it. good riddance to new tech, i say if it aint broke dont fix it.

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  6. i see. Well, i dont want it to be as loud as it is now, i want quiet, but still want good performance. Akasa is good you say? how loud would you say 30 decibels is? I don't want a Xilence if it cant even keep my cpu cool.

7. bumpppppp. i got the akasa, and have installed it already.(ITS REALLY QUIET!!!) would it be wise to take off the preapplied thermal paste with arcticlean and add arctic silver 5? would it make a considerable difference? honestly i just cant be bothered anymore. i just want to get my new video card,install it and never open my pc again.

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Well, it sort of ... depends. What's the previous thermal paste? Thermal conductivity of AS5 might be superior compared to a cheaper paste, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference. It all comes down if it's applied properly i.e. no gaps & no excessive paste leaking onto the pins - that's no good either :eek:

Unless there is something wrong with the previous thermal paste, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just leave it as it is...

9. i believe the new thermal paste is akasas own "Akasa AK-455-5G". It runs fine, super-quiet (THE ONLY NOISE IS COMING FROM THE VIDEO CARD FAN, AND THATS TINY) and im getting 55c temps on idle. I guess i don't need to change it :)

10. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Tiny drop of grease in the fan's axle should fix this up. Mine uses passive cooling :p

11. would sewing machine oil do?

12. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  13. Whoopsies

Damn low-end nvidia cards suck. I tried to take the fan out by unscrewing it, but i slipped the screws. whilst trying to unscrew the screws, i managed to somehow lift the fan off? 0.o (idk but it was attached to some kinda paste thingy and i didnt take it all off, and i just pushed it back down?(it wasnt fully taken off, just a little)

could using this card now cause damage to my system? its still working fine, though.

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    As long as there is good conductivity between those surfaces it shouldn't really be a problem. Judging by your description - it should be OK...

15. thanks. Just hoping it will work till i get my new card.