People getting confused about windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mahen23, Jun 2, 2011.

1. mahen23

mahen23 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    Hello,

I am reading twitter feeds for #windows8 and i see that lots of people are confusing the immersive ui as the official ui that everyone will use on Windows8. I think we should all clearly classify that the immersive UI is only for tablet computers while desktop users will use another UI not yet described by Microsoft.

2. X-MEN

X-MEN MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    #2 X-MEN, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mdtauk

mdtauk MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Actually that is what we first thought, but Microsoft has made it clear that this new start screen replaces the Start Menu...

4. consume

consume MDL Member

Nov 12, 2008
    If you watched the 19 minute video they specifically tell walt and kara that this is going to be on EVERYTHING windows.

5. mahen23

mahen23 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    i looked at the photos

i looked at the photos and i was clealy wrong. Thanks for clearing me up

6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    I soo hope there is a way to deactivate it. I do really like it on my tablet, but i wouldn't want that on my desktop :eek:

7. kingof69ng

kingof69ng MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    It's a clear move to "move forward" the computing world on the PC side and and a reaction to iOS. This is infact easier and very cross platform. tablets can run it and so can pc's last decade was about "new and cool gadgets" and this decade is about usefulness and efficiency. one os that goes on anything. plain simple and hopefully great.its just that microsoft is making a huge move to intergrate new technology. a good move to intergrate new technology unlike apple who has to rebrand everything and seell it for three times the price. Microsoft is making a smart good move. unfortunately for us they're also going to use activation 3.0 instead of 2.1 (windows 7) but i guess that's expected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. R0ckz

R0ckz MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2011
    This may be easier and better, but I just don't like the way it looks. :dunno:
    It looks like a Phone OS, yea. Reminds me strongly of Windows phone.

9. Aks2768a

Aks2768a MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    windows is moving from tab to tile based system .

10. Driver_King

Driver_King MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    If you have actually watched the video demonstration and don't feel that it is an amazing accomplishment and operating system that is incredibly fluid and dynamic, there is something wrong with you. Yes, they are using bits of Metro UI from Windows Phone, not unlike what we've seen in the Milestone leaks and from what they've told us in the past. They're also using parts of the Media Center experience and from the Zune, all of which have generally been critical successes. Why is intelligent utilization of existing technologies and witty creativity not good again?

11. mahen23

mahen23 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    Any videos

You guys still have the 19 minutes video handly. Can i download it?

12. Patrykvdmeulen

Patrykvdmeulen MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    And i hate windows 8! the Metro-ui is ugly.
    And x86 software dont works at arm!

13. hey_tommy

hey_tommy MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2007
    WORD. Nail on the head.

14. methodbeat

methodbeat MDL Member

Apr 28, 2011
    then, why did you browse the Windows 8 forum category ? too lame of you.

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #15 Shenj, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    Only these people who did not see the full Computex Presentation cry, cause they have NO DAMN CLUE what they say.

Hey look 'Metro'... wait... don't use it? You will 100% be able to deactivate this function, as this new 'Startmenu' does not work on low resolution screens(1024x600 this and everything under it does not allow the new ImmersiveUI). Why the... is one even complaining about that x86 Stuff does not run on ARM, i mean... now you don't even have ARM, where is the problem? They are just adding ARM Support, so compile for ARM...? Some ppl are just ignorants, Windows 8 is not limited to ARM... instead Windows 8 gets ARM support.

As for me... I can't wait for it, comn even on Desktop's this new 'Startmenu' replacement is just damn awesome, it replaces useless widgets on your desktop, gives your proper information and allows you to launch apps easier/faster...
    There are a few Problems this UI gives at this point, if you got <to many> Apps then Sorting, Placing and ?Finding? will become really ugly...

What i hope for is that you can just 'Type' and it limits the Displayed Tiles to what you just typed, this is also a easy solution for touchscreens, Swipe on the edge somewhere, include the Keyboard icon there... pull that up and type..
    But seriously they can do alot for awesome stuff with this type of concept, they just need to utilize it fully, the worst thing they can do is ignoring Finding on the new UI (that would be just..... o m g?)

Not sure how ppl can dislike it, its a Startmenu replacement, yes really, its just that... (and a little deeper :p)

Anyway what we saw is nice but it is far from complete, there are still Conecpt issues how to make it work best..

Proper Finding, Sorting, (Grouping), better Mouse support.. i mean you can use your finger... why can't you just Click and Drag instead of PageUP, PageDown..? (At least this wasnt shown, but im pretty sure its not included yet)
    But you can be sure, you will be able to code these new Windows8 AppX stuff with .NET, Silverlight, HTML5, Javascript, while you may need HTML/Javascript for the tile itself? There is no real reason to stop you from creating a normal application that works in fullscreen, as Windows 8 will be available for ARM, the Dev tool's will also get proper updates so you can compile your .NET Apps for ARM too..., while Silverlight/HTML5/Javascript will be the thing that you have to 'compile' only once.

Alot of s**t written, i could write even more and more, but i can't really say what could be improved for the user expirence as long as there isn't a beta, but as a normal user who doesnt even write Programs i can't change their mind anyway :)
    Heck Windows 7 didnt change much for me, it work's just much better, but when i look at the Taskbar... uhm i had that when XP came out, yes you were able to get Icon onlys on your taskbar with a simple registry change, but ofc it didnt start to blink or had progress bars etc..

There is alot room for improvements. (i don't mean add 10884841541 features..)

16. consume

consume MDL Member

Nov 12, 2008