Performance tuning, tips, tricks and tutorials

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by haber123, Sep 3, 2022.

1. haber123

haber123 MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I search for ways to increase network performance, tuning SMB, lanman caches etc. Reliable information is hard to find. Microsoft docs dont tell you the whole store or explain why or why not to increasing a certain value. So then I google the setting and through trial and error have made up a tool kit of things I change, reg files to apply.

I just put in a new Dell T350 with server 2022 with about 30 workstations that runs a practice management application. Running speed tests I can write to the server in the upper 800 mbps, downloads are in the upper 900 mbps (normal LAN speed being in the 400-600 mbps range). Every server and every network is different but there are a handful of things that dramatically improves every network.

So how does everyone else tune a network? Anyone get SMB over QUIC for file sharing? Or to install QUIC on server 2022 standard? This not about the ultra high end servers or fiber, Just normal small business servers and gigabyte copper cat6. Please reply with ideas, tips and things you've done to make a network fast.

2. haber123

haber123 MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Read that post, liked the part on version change using pkeys. Thought I could beat macrium free to run on server. But tuning a server to be super responsive to file and print sharing. Tweeking lanmanager and the way file and print sharing work, only to make them work better. From authentication to max threads, multi port, smb direct. The ins and outs of tcp on windows based servers. Network responce, moving large amounts of data quickly. Like changing the mtu and really moving large packets between client and server, only to find the application run the same.

3. unable tp understand what you are saying.