persistant Windows problems -network - DVD player/burner - update problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cybered, Jul 13, 2012.

1. cybered

cybered MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Help:worthy:

I did a fresh install over top of existing install of win 7 ultimate(64) . It resolved some of my problems created a new profile. I still have problems networking with my home network. problems seem to be geting worse.

System tells me that i can't switch back to homegroup. I was trying unsuccessfully to network with xp machine now I get the error message "Your network connection must have IPv6 enabled to create or join a home network. to enable IPv6 start the homegroup troublshooter." The IPv6 on this machine appears to be enabled when I run the trouble shooter it hangs.

Every time I shut off the machine Win7 update instals paches and then removes them when I turn the machin on. I guess there is a failure in configuring .

my dvd/cd reader/burner stopped working shortly after completing the install. I can get the cd to eject but it does not recognize media as readable.

Would reinstalling over my exiswting install solve problems or should i try installing on a fresh harddrive?:ranting:

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Clean install is always best. I don't even bother with trying to repair Windows installations any more; haven't for years unless it's the only option. You say you did a fresh install but over top of existing install, but I really wouldn't do that unless I absolutely had to.

You can use a different hard drive, or a different partition on the same hard drive, or you can backup your personal data (use the Windows Easy Transfer would be easiest). Back it up to somewhere else like another hard drive, an external hard drive, thumb drive, SD card. Whatever's big enough to hold whatever size Windows Easy Transfer says it will take for you. Then when you boot the Windows 7 installation DVD, delete your old Windows partition and have it'll create a new partition when it installs.

It sounds like hopefully it's just a software problem reading from your optical drive after a corrupted Windows installation is loaded. Another possibility is that the optical drive is going bad and that the Windows installation didn't actually go properly (although it should tell you so).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cybered

cybered MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    :aglerks::aglerks:Well my cpu died. I purchased a new system.
    did not get a chance to use Windows Easy Transfer (did not know how)
    I can see my old hard drive from the new system but I cannot boot the old hard drive from the new system
    I tried to repair using windows 7 install disk to no avail I am wondering is there any way to make the oldwindows instalation work with the new configuration. can someone advise please

4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Why would you want to boot from an old windows installation? unless you want to recover files you had on their,therefore,since your new system sees the old windows installation,just go int the "old" windows and search for your files