Phoenix AHCI in a Dell Award BIOS - SSD?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dandragonrage, Nov 4, 2010.

1. dandragonrage

dandragonrage MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2010
    #1 dandragonrage, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    Hi all, my friend has an Inspiron 530 which has an Award BIOS. He got a G. Skill Phoenix Pro SSD. It didn't want to work in RAID mode on the board so I sent him a BIOS with Intel RAID 7.6 and it didn't work so I found an 8.7 ICH9 version and it doesn't work. The BIOS only has IDE/RAID, not just AHCI... But I wonder if this stupid Phoenix AHCI (as opposed to Intel) which is an ISA option ROM could have something to do with it.

He says it just won't boot from his SSD in RAID mode.

Could it be the Phoenix AHCI, and can I just pull that out and put the Intel 1.20E one in if so? I imagine that I can't without further changes to the BIOS itself that I don't know how to do. Would it completely prevent him from booting if I try, though? Or would IDE mode still work if the AHCI ROM is missing?

Edit: I think 8.7 actually isn't working for him even though it's an ICH9 version of it (says ICH9 in it; I ripped it from an Asus X38 BIOS) and that's what he has, and the 7.6 ROM that works also says ICH9 in it.

2. dandragonrage

dandragonrage MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2010
    Okay so here's what happens with 7.6... the Phoenix AHCI shows his SSD and his HDD but it won't let him choose the SSD to boot from if both are connected, no matter which ports. It works if only the SSD is plugged in but that's useless.

8.7 doesn't work on his computer for some reason even though he has ICH9 and the 8.7 ROM I have is for ICH9... It just won't show the screen.