Photo Viewer in Build 10147, what happened?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RocketSledder77, Jun 23, 2015.

1. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    #1 RocketSledder77, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    So when I use Photo Viewer to view images I am no longer greeted by the usual Photo Viewer interface. Instead I am taken to what appears to be its print menu/interface. Is anyone else having this problem too? Does any one know how to fix it?

2015-06-23 05_24_01-Greenshot.jpg

Side Note (Rant):
    Did Microsoft remove all functionality from this quick and useful app so we have to use the clunky Metro Photos app? Why must Microsoft keep changing things that have worked fine for years. Like all the settings in the Personalization menu? Do they really need to shove Metro down our throats?

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    That is odd because I don't see this Print view here in 10147. Mine goes straight into a proper viewing mode with the modern Photos app, although I would still prefer the old Windows Photo Viewer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Upgrades from older Build's will have an other outcome as an clean install!! So some apps may not works as they should do etc. etc.!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I already gave the solution :
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
    @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Herd some friends talking about this over the weekend. Doesn't sound good. :(
    As you said the old app, was small, light, very quick to start and use, and just plain worked.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

u want go here for that.....

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/61787-Discussion-only-Windows-10-build-10147

7. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I see you like to put taskbar up. It's like in smartphones. Now the notification area is so close to icons in smartphone.

8. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Well, Im really pissed off about the "new" calculator. I cant stand that crap.

9. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Do you want the old calculator ?

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Right-click on the image and select 'Properties'. Click change tab and use photo viewers as default.

11. xDownSetx

xDownSetx MDL Novice

May 13, 2010
    Install Photo Gallery from the Windows Essentials pack. It's a great alternative to Photo Viewer, but it comes bundled with Movie Maker.

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Actually, this is how Linux has done it for much, much longer than smartphones have been around........(Just sayin')

13. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    #13 RocketSledder77, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    (OP)
    Actually I have the taskbar on the top because I try and make my windows experience as close to Mac OS X as possible. I think the taskbar should always be on the top anyway. We look up, not down. Also this makes it easier when I switch back and forth between Windows and Mac machines. I even use Stardock's Objectdock and it's Yosemite theme with (mostly) customized icons I made myself. As for the notifications, I turn those off.

Desktop.jpg

I gave up and installed Photo Gallery last night. It is not as fast as Photo Viewer and only has about 95% of its functionality. But it will do for now.

I even tired coping the files from the Windows.old directory. It did not work.

14. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    The Metro/Modern photo viewer shows the photos slightly blurred compared to the classic Windows Photo Viewer.

That is the only reason to hate it.

15. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I think one can't really compare the Windows taskbar to the Apple menu because they serve different purposes. The Apple menu on top is mainly the equivalent of the menu bars embedded in Windows applications, while the Windows taskbar is more equivalent to the Apple Dock, and even in OS X the Dock is placed at the bottom. Therefore, having the Windows taskbar at the top by default doesn't make much sense, last but not least simply because of the fact that it's always been placed at the bottom since Windows 95 (of course Microsoft could change that, but imagine what happens if they do so - just see what happened when they removed the Start button...)

16. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    ... and FWIW- Movie Maker in Win8 and above no longer enables you to burn the movie or slide show to video DVD. You need a 3rd party app (like DVDStyler) for that.

17. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but Google's Picasa has a decent photo/image viewer as well if you choose that during installation. I might actually use that if the old Windows Photo Viewer is gone for good. You don't even necessarily have to use Picasa itself, just the viewer part of it.

18. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Yep, they fully removed the Windows Picture Viewer in Windows 10 10147. The only thing that is left is the printig menu. Which is totally stupid. Why should i use a photo editing program just to take a short look at my bitmaps. It's the same with the new music app. It's nice for music librarys, but this not what i do. I often modify games and replace sound files so Windows Media Player is the best choice. The new Music App would store all of them into a library which is totally stupid.. Just like iTunes.. I don't need a "Lifestyle OS" like OS X in the earlier days..

19. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @sXpTv Agreed,
    The best thing I can say about the New Music app (and Video app too) is "Its not quite as bad as Xbox Music"
    WMP has a lot of crap in it too, but switching to the play window hides all that. And if MS remove it we at least have 'Media Player Classic' as a replacement.

@WildByDesign
    Thanks for the Picasa tip, I'll have to try it out.
    I tried Photo Gallery from Live Essentials before, its a bad bloated version of Photo Viewer. :(