Photos "Can't open this file. It might be damaged.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hoak, Apr 9, 2015.

1. hoak

hoak MDL Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I have a lot of images, some that the new Photos app can't open, or used to be able to open and can't now giving the following error message:

Untitled.png

The old standby Windows Photo Viewer can still open all these images without issue; any idea what might be wrong here?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Try to convert them to an new format!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M&J

M&J MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Please remember Windows 10 Is a work in progress therefore it's the "Photos app" It's not fully compatible yet. As you said "The old standby Windows Photo Viewer can still open all these images without issue" If the images are really damaged there is no way Windows Photo Viewer can View them. Please don't convert them as the above comment suggest.
    Thank you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Viewer in Windows 10 TP Builds, incl. 10051 are just fine and works with all formats, on my computer! I had similar problem and just converted from JPG to PNG and others.

5. hoak

hoak MDL Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them. I am aware, as I indicate in the OT post that Windows Photo Viler will open all these files -- my interest and concern was more to understand what's going on with the Photo application; why it can't open some images that are fine.

The same 'Photo' application in Windows 8.1 can also open these files without issue, initially I thought perhaps there are corrupted by registry values by other applications that have broken the apps ability to open some images, or read some file names.

As well I understand this is work in progress: I've been an alpha and beta tester of Microsoft products since Windows 95, have worked as a paid software tester, but this is the sort of thing I like to trouble shoot, get to the bottom of and was looking for corroboration to see if others had the same issue so I could be sure it wasn't just my installation.