Pictures

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leis, May 21, 2012.

1. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #1 leis, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate and would like to learn how to open
    Pictures to view my personal pictures I've stored in a folder, called 'My Pictures' (to be precise).

I saw slide show feature but in opening the folder where the pictures actually are, the slide show doesn't appear. And I don't know how to connect or work in the pictures to (obviously) make the slide show do its thing.

Also, same or ditto in windows media player--from feature that it (wmp) can be used for viewing pictures. Ok and tried that one but didn't score or that is, once again, the library issue seems to be what & where I don't understand and tried copying, sending, importing and nada. The troubleshoot help didn't seem to offer much to go on or follow, as well.

Thanks if any helpful hints or link-recommends to follow and appreciate it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    To open a picture, double click on it just like you would any other "data" file. If you're looking for an image manager, Google Picasa is nice, so is Windows Live Photo Gallery. There are many other free choices for image managers.

For a simple image viewer I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager or Windows Photo Viewer. I think WPV is 7's default viewer; it has slide show capabilities. To use slide show, open a pic in WPV and then click the little screen in the round icon between the left and right pointers. All pictures in that folder will be displayed in order.

Windows Media Player is just that .... a player for many formats of music, movies and videos. If you check under "Default Programs", WMP doesn't list image files as options. Can it be made to display images files? I Don't know, too many other good products that do that.

3. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for your info.

I like your answer with clarity and kind of funny at the ending, when you aren't sure if wmp can be used for the pictures, since as you said, there's other better ones out there that can and I'll follow this Picassa lead, too, as a couple of friends had stopped by the other night, and they mentioned this too and that's when I was trying to open these particular photos and was doing the one-by-one pic. at a time mode, and with that, we decided to take a rain check until I get organized and will try in the meantime, the because someone else said that when I was talking about this to a friend that I was trying to open some of the pics. the other night, and that's when i got this one-by-one (at a time mode) and decided we'd rain check until I get better organzied and I'll try the method you describe in WPV.

Thanks*

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Get one of your knowledgable friends to show you how to use WMP as an image viewer. If they said it can be done, why not just get them to show you how?

5. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi

I'm laughing and luv your reply. This is something that sounds like something I'd say.
    But you know what, it wasn't the friends that was over to tell me that, I was trying to get the picture slide show viewer going and wasn't doing too good. But it was in the actual WMP help screen, among the features of Windows Media Player, that if you want to add pictures to its library, and I am going by what I remembered reading (Sunday) that juat the same as adding music and videos to playlists, then it can be viewed.
    :) but I don't mean to sound like I'm not appreciative of response, you know, and it was my writing or how I described it that it sounded like someone was telling me I could just do it thru the WMP. Actually it plays better when I watch daily program i subscribed, so with that, I'm holding out and saying alright, there. But when there's more free time this wknd. I'm going to try the Win. 7 built in picture viewer some more.
    Thanks man.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Gotcha. All you really needed to know was what programs are available in Windows 7 to view still pictures. It's a journey; sometimes it take a village.

7. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Windows Explorer has a built-in slide show, it works very well.
    I have many pictures folders in my Pictures Library, one of them with more than 500 family photos, inside the folder I click in "Slide Show" and the thing happens. You don't need WMP to do this...

8. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
  9. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thank you Sid

Well, you know your stuff it looks like :) And thanks for the help. I'm going to just take a look at windows live essentials and I'm communicating with ScB about possible winzip to unzip and get pics. in right format.