Pin a program to the start menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by vistadude, Jan 2, 2010.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I just installed windows xp sp3 for the first time and noticed that I cannot pin a program to the start menu. I searched around and found registry hacks to restore this feature, but before I do those I wanted to know if there is a reason why microsoft removed pinning from xp with the release of sp3 or is it just some random error?

Thanks.

2. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Don't you mean the Quick Launch toolbar? Just make sure the taskbar is unlocked and create a shortcut of the program you want to pin. Move the shortcut to the Quick Launch bar. That's it. If there's an even easier way to do it I'm sure someone will answer up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi JBenal,

I think pinning is different from the quicklaunch toolbar. Pinned programs appear above the 8 most used programs in the start menu (probably your email program and internet browser are pinned by default). I can even see vista has pinning, I can't see a good reason why pinning was in windows xp but removed after sp3.

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Oops, sorry. Thought you meant the Quick Launch bar. I'm new to the term "pinning" - just started using Windows 7 and never used Vista. As for the XP start menu, have you tried right-clicking on Start, then Open (or Open All Users) and placing a shortcut on the folder that opens up? I'm giving up after this. Good luck. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I figured out how to fix it. There's a command one can execute from the run utility in the start menu. Even with this enabled, not all exe's can be pinned by right clicking the shortcut. In this case, simply run the program several times so it appears on the recently run programs in the start menu and drag it up to the pinned area.