Pin and password will not work at lock screen if time and date do not show

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tazgrump2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tazgrump2

Tazgrump2 MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Does anyone know how to fix this, reinstall, among other things does not work? More than 20 machine of different varieties have or had problem with no rhyme or reason???

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    have u tried to download a new image the one u have mite be corrupted

3. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    How do you log in when pin/password fail?

4. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    1. Login with pin or password will fail if if Date and Time does not show at the lock screen. (Together). some machines skip the lock screen altogether and go direct to the password window. If the lock screen does not show with the date and time together you cannot log-in with either a password or pin. If you leave the machine off un-powered for some time, it will show the lock screen correctly (with a date and time) going to the password window will the work. If the password window does not work (the machine cycles with the spinning ants and come back to the lock screen. If the date only shows it will cycle and the both will show but it will continually loop back to lock screen.
    2. If you start in safe mode it will consistently allow entrance.
    3. This all took place after the cumulative updates to 1607 were released.
    4. Removing the updates works to fix some machines.
    5. all machines except one that I built for a friend were upgrades. the friends was a genuine ticket upgrade during the free upgrade period, using 7 ultimate to 1511 (pro) as a clean install, with 1607 and cumulatives coming through W.U. removing cumulatives from this machine cured it temporarily. Using sleep or hibernation makes machine go to lock screen and then no date and time is displayed and no re-entrance.
    6. a complete clean reinstall of 1607 on an Acer laptop allowed temporary entrance, but once cumulative were downloaded (ie it skips early ones and goes to latest) problem was back.

5. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #5 dobbelina, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    what i just found.. win 8.0 similar issue
    pwd was changed in accounts.live.com but pc was offline
    said to use old pwd which i didnt know so i plug in cable and tadaa it logged in wit new pwd.. like a cached ms account pwd issue.

post sfc /offbootdir command done said found some problems and could not fix some.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i never seen the issue hes describing:g:

8. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    you obviously don't build and repair machines for a large amount of customers..... People call me with this problem I am not seeking them out.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    I see it almost daily for past 3 weeks.
    Remote tech support makes it harder too

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    what makes u think that? i run a bunch of machines here.

11. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    because this is std user problem not the enthusiasm how installs the latest build from the fast or slow ring each time it is released clean (no upgrades) None of my personal builds all I7's including a Skylake have the problem but they all started as clean installs.
    The one machine for a friend is AMD and was a clean 1511 problem occurring after 1607 cumulative. I just posted on MS community. There are others with problem MS user.
    do a search for log in screen on loop
    I did not create this thread I add to another's question

12. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Best way is to use WINDOWS LOGIN, not Email login through MSN or other.. Windows NT Login is much better! I don't other kind of craps.. I stick with WINDOWS NT login is more better to do! NEVER do email login Windows Login, Stupid!

ATGPUD2003

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    all i can say is i have install win10 in about 100 machines now and never once experience the problem posted.

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i believe u....is just i never see it.

15. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    i will not use the word idiot, but here is a post from the MS Community Forum, NOT BY ME, and if you can't read, I have highlighted the pertinent line IN RED, (bTW pertinent means they are logging in with out a Microsoft account and it still happens) and you cannot on Business machine not use a password although Enterprise does not have mandatory WU.

Hi all,

Just after build 1607 got updated on my PC, I started noticing an odd thing when on each boot-up, the windows would not accept the login password or reject it, the little circle animation would go for about 40-50 seconds, and then with no further information or error message, the "Enter your password" prompt would be there again. Repeat forever. If you entered a wrong password or no password at all, there would be no information like "Wrong password, try again", but the system would be going again for 40-50 seconds, and everything gets repeated.

Amazingly, the problem tends to go away (short term) after I restart the PC. On that second boot-up, password logs me in immediately, in most cases (60-70%), but on odd occasion, I would need to restart 3 or 4 times before the system logs me in.

I have side-stepped this by removing the password login for the user on boot-up, but I am obviously not comfortable with this. However, the problem manifests itself also when I lock the screen. Upon screenlock, in 95% of cases entering the password will not instantly bring you back, but the little circle will keep going and going for 50 seconds, only to present the password login again. This is completely infuriating especially in work conditions where locking the screen is absolutely vital. Strangely, "Sign Out" option almost always works fine, but "Sign Out"/"Sign In" option also loses all unsaved data, so it is not useful.

I thought this could be a one PC problem, but just after 1607 update got installed on my laptop, the identical behavior followed. My laptop and my desktop are not of the same manufacturer and share 0 common hardware. The only common features between two are that (1) they both have Windows on SSD, and \Users folder on hard drive and (2) in both cases I am using the local account, I do not have MS live account.:tasty:

So far I have tried:
    1. Logging to Safe Mode (works fine) and back to normal - issue persists

2. Start-up repair - did nothing

3. Created a new User profile - the issue persists with the second profile as well
    4. Tried PIN instead of password
    5. Running System File Checker tool or DISM (System Update Readiness tool) as suggested here - no problems

If it matters, Fast start-up is turned off.

I can see at least 5 people just on this Windows 10 section, probably even more on others. Similarly, I can easily list about 5-6 other people on tenforums, windows10forums, and reddit. This does not seem likely at all to be a corrupted file issue, or a single user issue, there most definitely seems to be a problem in something that Anniversary Update 1607 brought. I have two completely different Windows 10 Pro machines, and the behavior since 1607 was consistent 10/10.

Since 1607 more than 3-4 updates have been applied, the problem is not going away.

-Is this a known issue? Known by MS that is, as it keeps propping up often around forums.
    -Is there a known solution that I haven't tried (short of reinstalling the whole Windows 10)?

Thanks

16. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    That randomly showing date & time almost sounds like a mobo battery issue....
    But why would date & time have anything to do with the login procedure?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    brand new build, has the problem, battery cannot be bad, on brand new APU board. I have replaced a battery on one of these older board machines with the issue, with a new battery, same issue.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    are u using the same win10 image in all your installations? the copy your using mite be bad d\l a fresh image.

19. Tazgrump2

Dec 7, 2013
    #19 Tazgrump2, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    (OP)
    Most of these are free upgrades to 10 are from 7 or 8 or 8.1 (not my installs, HP, Acer, Sony, Dell,Toshiba etc, which you know were originally ghost dumps, I only build machines from scratch with clean installs.) These people that own these machines are calling me to repair this issue. There is nothing in common with each of the owners of these machines. Some of these I have never worked on before (repair(s)). Only one of these was a clean 1511 install on an AMD APU it worked fine until first 1607 cumulative then the consistent loop problem cropped up. I built this one machine from scratch. None of my other builds have problems. My work machine built from scratch is a Gigabyte Z97X GAMING 7, bios F8, with a INTEL 17 4790K using 16GB of Corsair DDR3 ram 2400mhz, 2 sticks, a Kingston M.2 SSD 480GB attached board not using a PCI express card with a Windows 10 pro clean installed using the same 1511 iso used on the Amd APU machine which has the issue. The Kingston drive is at 1607 and has no problems. I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB on this same machine with El Capitan 10.11.6 using Clover as boot loader booting UEFI for both the Apple drive and the Windows 10 pro drive. It has and Apple Broadcom AC dual band wireless bluetooth 4.0 card on PCIE adapter card and this works in both operating systems. Power supply is a EVGA Supernova G2 1000 watt, and optical is a LG Blu-Ray burner with lightscribe, Sound is going through a Soundbaster Omni 5.1, video is a MSI GTX 960 w/ 4 GB of GDDR5. I am using a Microsoft Account with a Pin log-in and have never had a problem on this machine since I built it, however, the AMD machine does, have the issue. I am currently using 1607 iso for new builds, and my testing of this problem on 7 series Intel Dell with the same issue, as 1511 was the only build available when I built my machine and the AMD APU machine with the issue. Both mine and the AMD machines were Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installs activated and G ticket pulls with clean installs of Windows 10 pro 64. The Windows 7 installs were MBR and the clean installs of Windows 10 1511 were UEFI, mine without secure boot, the AMD with single drive single OS.
    My install ISOS are only on high quality 16 GB USB 3.0 flash drives mostly Samsung or Patriot. I will use a crap flash drive to install and OS or a restore or Ghost dump install like the OEM's.
    All install flash drives are created with Rufus.

20. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009