Playing Blu ray Discs on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by kingedwards, Mar 3, 2011.

1. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    For those of you who are having trouble getting your blu ray discs working in your BD drive, I just went through a 5 hour ordeal of testing and troubleshooting before I was able to get mine to work properly. I picked up an internal BD combo drive off newegg, LG UH10LS20 OEM for $35.

Installed the SATA drive in desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Windows automatically installed all drivers. I purchased the region free BD disc "Hancock" and the drive was able to recognize it as a BD disc and showed the name Hancock. The BD player came with Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 Ultra which supposedly supports BD content. When I loaded Hancock the player would pop up the message similar to "unsupported format in drive". This is where my problems started, and I am going to skip a bunch and go straight to the solution.

1. What you need to do is first make sure you have the lastest firmware running on your BD drive, which consists of going to your manufacturers website and typing in the model. Older firmware versions can not support all current BD discs.

2. I had no luck with PowerDVD 9 so I picked up PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D. The default region code setting for this software is region free, I set mine to region 1 (USA).

3. Now you need to set the region code on your BD drive. Click Start Menu and in the search bar type "Device Manager" and open it. Locate your BD Drive and open it. Select the Region tab and select your region, mine again being region 1 (USA).

4. Next to ensure you can play ever BD disc you own you are going to need a program by SlySoft called AnyDVD HD. This program removes any security that may fight against PowerDVD and also allows BD discs with additional content like games or BD/DVD combo discs to be played.

5. At this point you may still not be able to play BD discs through PowerDVD and may still be getting the same "unsupported format in drive" message. If this is the case you need to open your device manager again and uninstall your BD drive. Restart the computer and allow Windows 7 to reinstall the drivers for you.

6. At this point all BD discs should be working. Enjoy the 5 hours of life I just saved you!

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Wow, only five hours? Your monitor, video card and cables must all be HDCP certified then or you would have had all that to deal with too. Either that, or are you watching your BD movie downrezzed to 640x480.

That much effort to playback content you legally purchased. And anyone seriously wonders why people download pirated content?

DRM = defective, by design

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah, forgot to mention I have a HDCP video card with HDMI.

4. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  5. glow

glow MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2008
    AnyDVD should solve most of the BD prohibitions.

I had this strange issue with plain DVDs,.

I had Corel WinDVD9 installed and that played everything okay.

Then installed WinDVD2010 separately to see what improvements there might be and found that refused to play any copy-protected DVDs at all!

Wonder how Corel expects anyone to buy this app which is designed not to work out of the box!

6. stevenjoen

stevenjoen MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Blu-ray Player is one easy-to-use player for PC. It can help users enjoy any Blu-ray movie with outstanding and perfect video quality at home for Windows 7, Windows XP ,Window Vista,ect. This amazing player can not only play Blu-ray Disc, but also support Blu-ray folder and ISO image files. This Blu-ray Player is reliable and expert in playing Blu-ray discs released in different regions and dates trough simple clicks of mouse.

UFUSoft Blu-Ray Player

Blu-ray Player is also capable of playing popular video files. Users can enjoy videos in HD video, AVCHD video, MTS, M2TS, MXF, TS, TRP, MKV, MPEG, FLV, WMV, and MP4, etc. formats.
    * Play Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray folder and ISO files.
    * Support playing popular video files.
    * Bring users 1080P HD video watching experience.

UFUSoft Blu-Ray Player