Playing Media Files cause non-Geniune Watermark

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moosh101, Nov 13, 2009.

1. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

I was playing a video file in Windows Media Centre and when I closed the application I noticed a 'This copy of Windows is not genuine' watermark displayed on the desktop. Fortunately opening up System Properties and viewing the activation status removes the watermark from the desktop. I noticed this once before after playing a movie in Windows Media Player, and viewing the activation status also removed then watermark then too. I wonder if this is a bug with certain types of media files somehow interfering with Windows Genuine Verification technologies built into the operating system.

My system specs are:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard with Dell SLIC 2.1
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM OEM 64-bit (build 7600) with Dell MS Cert
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600

This does not appear to be a problem as confirming the activation status in System Properties removes the watermark when it occurs, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. I would be interested to hear your thought.

Shane.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    wow sounds like what happened to me tonight. i was watching a tv show i downloaded since i missed it and it pops up saying i have 25 days to activate?? happened on 2 different systems. both while watching video with media player..though to fix mine i had to reinstall the cert and key it would not reactivate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    freaking just did it again to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf

this is driving me crazy. we cant be the only two with this issue can we?

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I tried it and had no problems.

5. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    it was an hour long video and happens around 3/4 way through it takes a while

6. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Why don't you test turning-off all media features; just to see if this abnormality has anything to do with media features? Anyway, you can restore media features if you wish to.

Btw, i can't replicate what you did because i have all media features turned-off. I use vlc media player.

7. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    what file type never happens to me:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009

Attached Files:

9. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #9 Brainsuck, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #10 d3l1, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    I second that, try to disable ALL the media features, so the windows media player/center don't contact MS for ANY media info or sync or else.

If you still have that issue, try out Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, it's simple and powerful and shouldn't interfer with your activation in any way.

what's that green bar in some of your mkv's? you can see it in both transformers mkv's in the top area of the thumbnail. looks like there's something wrong

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    same here :cool:

12. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    useing beta dvix for mkv plays fine thumbnails :confused::confused:

13. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I just tried my 7 with all options on and it still running. I ran couple of different files to pin point one specific and nothing my computer still activate. But at the same time, worry to hear exactly what cause it because it could be something new with M$ and the fight against pirates thru media player

14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    In you logs you should be able to see what happened at the moment it turned ungenuine. An exe that starts running, crashed, something like that.

run eventvwr.msc and select windows logbooks at the left side

15. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It is nothing more then M$ trying to fight back guys. It sounds like they are somehow able to detect modded bioses and turn them ungenuine. I do not know because this never happened to me but that really sux guys. Maybe google can give you some answers or something.

16. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    It maybe a bad bios mod cert maybe bad it uses drm slic uses drm I will say that mediacenter downloads updates at will dont know about blocking win update dont help :confused::confused:

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That could be the case too dude. Good point.