Playing movie from USB will leave tracks?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    As you might have read somewhere, there are now huge legal problems with downloaded files in Japan... up to 10 years jail….

I sometimes get a movie on a USB stick from a friend to play on this computer. If I play it directly from that stick, without transferring it to my HDD, will their be any traces of it found after having played it and deleted from the USB using this computer?
    I do not know, it maybe a torrent file gotten somewhere illegal….

I have sandboxie installed. Should I use it for this?

They will confiscate computers here and examine the HDD !!!

Thanks

PS If this sounds funny or paranoid to you, sorry, but that only means you do not know Japan ;-)

2. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    PS If this sounds funny or paranoid to you, sorry, but that only means you do not know Japan ;-)

Why don't you find a forums that discuss only problem related to Japan and its judicial system.:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Come on you transferred the file to your usb thumbdrive it does not have an IP address the only trace left will be in your friends machine in the registry from the device the file was played from i,e usb

4. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks, that is what I wanted to be sure of....

5. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    As long as you are not directly downloading it from tpb or any other filesharing sites, you should be gold. Its not like they are going to audit your computer for every trace of a movie. Even if they did, they would only find shortcuts to where the file was launched from (as Urie Stated).

6. teribithia

teribithia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2012
    Yes it will be display it in "recently played files" in your PC. You can clear all the cookies to delete it . As far as I know the USB can not record you PC info.