Please advise a firewall solution for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ineedh3lp, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
  2. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    It may be enough for most users on this planet, but not enough for my personal needs. JPF never slowed down anything for me. I just need a highly configurable firewall, and Jetico has proven its worth to me uncountable times in the past 4 years. Would've it worked without problems on Windows 8, this thread would not be. I am currently re-exploring what Agnitum Outpost Firewall has to offer, but I'm not sure it works with Windows 8 yet.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Had you check with the JPF Developer about your problems? That would be the first to do! MS could not hold responsible in any means for some 3.party software problems! And also not blame in any means.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    Tried to, but seems that there's nobody around in their forums. And yeah, of course it's not Windows 8's fault. I haven't blamed the OS, I just said that Jetico doesn't work on it, so I need to find something as close as possible to JPF.
    It seems that Agnitum Outpost Firewall's driver isn't compatible with Windows 8 x64 either, so I'll keep looking.

5. donjulio0088

donjulio0088 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2007
    Sphinx-soft is W8 compatible. Been using it for a while now.

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Avast firewall +Win8 firewall work 4 me:blowup:
    + your soft maybe updated , well hopefully...

7. DarkStarXxX

DarkStarXxX MDL Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Emsisoft Internet Security (Anti-malware / Online-Amor) works perfect with Win8 (maybe the best Security solution at the Moment).

8. YaroslavKa

YaroslavKa MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2011
    COMODO Internet Security 5.12(win 8 support), but COMODO Internet Security 6.0 BETA Released today, Windows XP through Windows 8 are supported !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Yes, that is best at the moment. Here are two commands to configure it:
    C:\Windows\System32\WF.msc
    C:\Windows\System32\Firewall.cpl
    ...if you want to make the shortcuts or something. :)

10. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    #11 ineedh3lp, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    (OP)
    From all I have tested lately, Comodo Firewall comes closest to my needs, but it still lacks a bunch of features, like application group nesting, rule disabling (it only lets you remove, but not enable/disable rules on the fly), it has only the basic allow/deny/ask type of rules (it is missing the "continue" rule which allows for advanced selective traffic monitoring), and the firewall pop-up GUI is simply a disaster: it doesn't allow you to copy the remote IP (I'm not asking for a WHOIS check, just to copy the damn IP so I can check it myself before deciding what rule to create), doesn't allow for rule customization in-place (i.e. I have to set the granularity by accessing additional interface components), doesn't have a go-to-source-rule button so I can see which ask rule raised the firewall event, and the popus aren't customizable (and that wouldn't be a problem, but they display way too little information). I could go on, but can you imagine that this COMODO firewall is still the closest solution to my needs? This pretty much means that most of the other solutions are useless for someone who wishes to really have control (in a fast and decent way) over what's happening on the network.

I must admit JPF isn't perfect, but only if the developers continued to enhance it and listen to user requests, it could've easily become the most powerful and advanced firewall ever. Sigh...