Please explain how Win 7 retail activates with no slic 2.1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pennsylvaniaron, Jan 17, 2011.

1. pennsylvaniaron

pennsylvaniaron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    hi:

I have been experimenting for the last year or so with a few bios mods and Daz's loader. From what I have learned Win 7 MUST have a slic 2.1 in a particular computers bios code. Vista MUST have a slic 2.0 in the bios. So when a bios mod is performed these SLIC's are inserted using the various modding tools on the forum. On the other hand Daz's loader installs a certificate with corresponding s/n in addition to inserting a "faux" slic 2.1?? At least that's my understanding.

But say you have an older computer with no slic or a vista machine with slic 2.0 and you go out and buy Windows 7. Or you have a WinXP machine. How does Windows 7 get activated if there isn't a slic 2.1 in that machine's bios by just installing Win 7? I'm assuming the activation process somehow links the retail win 7's COA with that copy on that machime. If so and then you run slictoolkit 3.2 shouldn't it then say the bios has a slic 2.1? So how does Win 7 manage to get that slic 2.1 in the bios? Regards...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    SLIC 2.0/2.1 in the bios is for OEM activation, branded preactivation that would come in a Dell, HP, Lenovo etc branded machine. This is how brands preactivate their OS.

Retail is a different ball game, its done by the serial keys, you activate it (online or via phone) with your hardware, you make a change like upgrade your GFX card from an ATi to an nVidia or change the motherboard etc you will probably be asked to reactivate the OS again, I know under XP I was a few times (mobo failed like 3 times...last time I go AMD/ATi setup).

3. HerbalTech

HerbalTech MDL Junior Member

Dec 23, 2010
    hmm, my pc(using) was a vista PC and i dont think it has 2.1. so how does daz loader work on pre-2.1 slic?

4. flare4000

flare4000 MDL Senior Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Daz's loaders install a oem slp key and cert. if that doesn't activates it will install a loader with slic 2.1

A loader is a file that will fake the slic 2.1 before windows boots therefor fooling windows to think this is an oem activated pc

5. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    ok this I understand. how the loader works. but what about win 7 retail? say you have an older computer like a dell dimension 2400 that was designed for winXP. now you format the drive and install win 7. there isnt a slic2.1 in that dell bios right? ok you now activate win 7 over the internet or by phone. so for win 7 to stay and be activated somehow a slic 2.1 gets installed in the bios. but how? it seems that the win 7 activation acts like a loader itself. does anyone know how that slic 2.1 gets in the bios. win 7 can't modify it like some of the tools on the forum. regards...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    Retail is not activated by SLIC. That is only for OEM activation. Retail can be activated the first 5 times over internet, then it has to be activated by phone as long as no major changes to the hardware were preformed (like hard drive and memory at the same time, etc.) If I remember correctly activation edits or creates pkeyconfig and token.dat which contains the activation data. No SLIC is used with the retail keys.
    This has been like this since Windows XP, no revolutionary changes in activation here, only some changes in the implementation.

Hope that answers your question.

7. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    yes it's getting clearer now. So the OEM big boys like Dell, HP, Compaq etc make their bios to include a slic2.1 if the machine is designed for Win 7. Then they use an oem win 7 and install their particular certificate and s/n.

So if you have an oem version of win 7 (i think retail is the same) and a machine with a slic2.1 then all you have to do is install any version of win 7 with the correct oem certificate (dell computer, then dell certificate) and the corresponding win 7 version's s/n (ultimate version and ultimate s/n, but it doesn't have to be the s/n for oem dell, just has to be any oem ultimate s/n). is that concise? regards...

8. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    Yes, and there is no difference between the OEM and the Retail. It becomes either according to the s/n you use.

Even if you buy a computer form Dell and it comes with Home Premium, you can use Windows Anytime Upgrade, enter a OEM key for ultimate, and in 10 minutes you have an upgrade.

If you reinstall from scratch, just install the right certificate and use any SLP key for that appropriate version.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    In a nutshell:

• OEM Offline Activation for 6.0/6.1 requires a SLIC table in the BIOS, plus the matching Certificate and any OEM:SLP Key

• Retail Activation is BIOS-independent and can only be performed online (MS server) or via telephone (challenge/response)

• Volume Activation requires a Windows Marker in the BIOS

Which licensing model your Windows uses is decided exclusively by the Product Key you enter.

Professional is the only Edition that can use all 3 models.

Enterprise is Volume-Only.

The rest (ignoring Server Editions) is Retail/OEM-Only.

10. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    one last question

one last question about the slic2.1 and win 7. so if you have this old dell dimension and install win 7 by the internet (retail ultimate version) and then you run the slictool are you saying that there will be NO SLIC2.1 in that Dell's bios? Regards...

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yap... that can be possible....

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    That is correct.

The only way to 'upgrade' a SLIC-less BIOS is to manually re-flash it with a version that contains the table.

Otherwise it will stay as it is.

If SLICTool reports a SLIC table anyway then it has to be an emulated one. (Loader.)

13. pennsylvaniaron

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok got it. In my previous post I wrote "and you INSTALL Win 7 over the internet". I should have said "and you ACTIVATE Win 7 over the internet". Just wanted to clear that up and not confuse people who are trying to learn about this win 7 activation. I thank all those who contributed to this thread and hopefully others will learn from it. Regards...

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #15 timesurfer, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    The only solution that activates via the internet/network is KMS. I think your talking about "validation" over the internet :eek: