Please Help. Installing Windows 7 SP1 Right Now

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leobrit11, Apr 7, 2011.

1. leobrit11

leobrit11 MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    #1 leobrit11, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    I'm doing the installation right now. Please help.

I'm doing a clean installation, but I have 3 partitions:

I have 3 partitions:

1) Disk 0 Partition Total Total Size 1.39 MB Type: OEM (reserved)
    2)Disk 0 Partition 2: Recovery Total Size 9.8 GB Type:primary
    3) Disk 0 Partition 3 Total Size 223.1 GB Type:System

Should I erase the 3, or just the last One?

What will happen if I dont delete the first two, Am I going to get trouble?

Please Help

2. Acker

Acker MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    I say, delete all of them, you don't need them as long you always use your custom window 7 installation.

3. leobrit11

leobrit11 MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    But what happened if I leave them to avoid any problem? Am I going to have problems in the future? I wont be doing a clean install?

4. leobrit11

leobrit11 MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    My Computer Brand is DELL.
    I had installed Windows 7, but I had a corrupted version that didn't allowed me to update even that I made the procedure right and got validated online.

Now I am installing Windows 7 SP1 and I will validate it using DAZ Loader.

Thank you.

5. leobrit11

leobrit11 MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    Ok. Thank you very much

I have been investigating and I read in other posts that if I delete this partition:

1) Disk 0 Partition Total Total Size 1.39 MB Type: OEM (reserved)

I wont be able to boot again. Is that right?

After I delete all the partitions, do I have to shrink the existing partition to create another partition to install Windows 7. An If I have to do that, How much MB do you recommend me to shrink it?

6. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #6 akf, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    Hold it right there. Before deleting Partition 2: Recovery (9.8 GB), ask yourself the following questions:

1. Does your computer originally come with Dell DataSafe Local Backup? It is a software designed to restore your computer back to original factory configuration.
    2. Do you use Dell DataSafe Local Backup to restore your computer back to factory state?

If you answer yes to both questions, then you should not delete the partition, as it is needed for the proper functioning of Dell DataSafe Local Backup.

Then again, if you prefer clean installation, then you can delete it. Think carefully. Once it is gone, you can never use Dell DataSafe Local Backup ever again.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would take akf's advice, keep or backup your recovery partitions for safe keeping and when setting up windows sp1 go to advanced section and format Partition 3 the System one and install to there.
    also go to dells web site and download any drivers for you computer before hand.

8. davehc

davehc MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    In the nick of time, akf! Good post

9. Fusion

Fusion MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Hey guys! I have a problem: after I installed sp1 via Windows Updater, the Windows told me that my copy of Windows isn't genuine. I had activated it with 7loader by Hazar 1.5 before. I tried this method now and it didnt work :X I tried Daz's loader but it said that I have to uninstall other cracks before I use his. So I uninstalled Hazar's loader, but Daz's loader keeps saying the same thing- "Status: Modified- Uninstall other cracks."

I've laptop Toshiba A300, Nod32 Antivirus.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It isn't always that simple maybe user may want to sell his computer later on at least then it is as it was from factory.

11. cfu2002

cfu2002 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I also own two DELL Notebooks and the small Partition was on both present. It contains the diagnostics stuff. Using a tool which can
    be downloaded from DELL site it is possible to re-create this partition if required.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes the diagnostic partition tool can be downloaded but not the recovery partition once it's gone it's gone forever.