Please help me choose hardware for a new computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by weaveR, Oct 7, 2010.

1. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Hey I'm thinking of building a new computer and have already decided that it will use a i7 CPU since it's the best for gaming according to lots of benchmarks I've already looked at.

Just wondering what I should look for with the motherboard? Already noticed there are currently 2 socket types that both support i7 (1156,1366) and don't currently see much difference between the 2 except 1366 will support the next generation CPU (i9) and some 1366 high end boards support 2 CPU's on the same board and also support insane amounts of ram and I'm sure I won't actually buy something stupid like 64 gigs of ram, (not at the moment anyway :p).

Are there any other differences between the 2 motherboard types that would affect actual performance? Otherwise I might just go with the cheaper option.

What is the fastest available ram speed available? I've already tried looking at the wiki to find out about this myself but I can't find any motherboards compatible with the fastest ram or even the sticks themselves.

Also what CPU would you recommend? Haven't tried overclocking before due to being to scared my components would break and have learned that if you do overclock a computer with an i7 CPU that it's very important you get the right motherboard otherwise you may not be able to use all your ram and instead be limited to something like 4GB even when using a x64 windows OS.

2. kvonlinee

kvonlinee MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    I see what you try to get. everything come to a price.
    I suggest you should look in-deep with hardware review site to see an idea benefit/cost/value of a set hardware you like.
    Also component you can go with the gaming builder advice. Things go to cooling air or liquid come with those side.
    what I know like video card for advance gaming system go with nvidia because it has PhysX support.
    Hope this can help you get an ideas.

3. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #3 weaveR, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    (OP)
    I was actually thinking of getting 2 radeon 5970 crossfired being it's the fastest card avalible right now I'm only really interested in FPS and I'm sure it'd be compatible with all the latest games, I already have a single 5870 on my current PC and it's great but I'd love to see what 2 5970's can achieve.

I'll look at hardware review websites once I decide what board I'm going to get I just don't want something that'll have issues.

4. cabille

cabille MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2010
    I pay attention too.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    If you look at my signature, I do have a i7 920. Of course, there are better i7 available now. If you are paying for i7, might as well as get a good motherboard (MSI/Gigabyte) for that. As to RAM, 1333 or 1600 is not supposed to make much of a difference (tomshardware). DDR3 1333 and at least 4 GB should be a good start. With prices going down constantly, you can add more RAM later. Motherboard has slots for RAM and mine has 6 slots which are all filled up now with 9 GB of RAM.

64 GB of RAM is totally overkill and windows 7 64 bit runs great on 4-5 GB of RAM and i7 CPU. Mine is stock and not overclocked at all. More RAM would be required if you run VMs and want to allocate 3-4 GB to that. Of course, you can allocate less but VMs run a lot better with 3-4 GB of RAM. One has already paid for CPU and adding 2-3 GB of RAM is a lot cheap for getting an additional machine (even if virtual).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. donjeuw

donjeuw MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    Did you notice a new socket 1155 will be launched on january the 9th? At least here in France, perhaps you already have it in the U.S., it may be better for a new computer? Better ram speeds, 32nm...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes the new socket LGA1155 CPUs by Intel were released last week. Motherboards are already available. No point in investing in an i7 now which should also see a new generation in 2011. As of i3 and i5, the new socket LGA1155 CPUs are supposed to be much better. If you are buying, you should go for these.

8. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Might wait a little while becuase I'm sure if I buy now I'll kick myself when I see the prices have halfed a few months later, I managed to find some LGA1155 motherboards as well and it's good to see that they now support DDR3-1333 ram, maybe acyuta could use his 1333 sticks to their full potential now if he decides to upgrade, thanks for the tip though you both saved me from buying something that's obsolete.