Please help me find a motherboard!?! My computer divided by zero!!!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by schooluser, Sep 3, 2012.

1. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    I am needing to purchase a new motherboard as my current one doesn't support 3tb hard drives and I am running win xp. The reason this is in the bios mod section is that I want one whose bios has already been slic'd here.

Can someone help me find a motherboard with a bios mod available on here for win7 slic, has 6 or more sata iii ports, and can support 128+gb ram? (Anything close would be fine, I'm really wanting something someone here has experience with as a good motherboard)

I'm currently running a GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L and enjoyed my xp bios from here for it and have another comp with a win7 bios from here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    newer gigabytes say 3 terabytes supported. think it has to be EFI Bios

3. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    #3 schooluser, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    (OP)
    Found something on their website, it's supposed to be a driver to unlock 3tb+ drives. I installed the driver, www(dot)gigabyte(dot)us/support-downloads/Utility.aspx 3tb+ unlocker and it shows 2047.99gb unallocated. Does that sound right for a 3tb drive? A little over 2tb usable? I seem to recall getting a bit more out of a 2tb drive than 60%. Do you have a specific board model that supports 3tb? I guess I'm getting lost on the site and can't find anything mentioning it specifically.

Edit--
    Previously it was showing as a 700gb drive, so the driver did something, but the winxp 32bit limitation is still in place for drive size. I'll do more research on how to fix this and try to report it back here. In the meantime I'd still like to try and find a better motherboard that supports 3tb+ and has more sata ports, one that someone has slic'd the bios on here :)

Edit--
    Found a free bootable utility to reformat drives as GPT and attempted to use that, it created a 128mb partition at the front and then allowed me to format the rest.
    www(dot)partitionwizard(dot)com/download.html
    That led me to have hope until I booted into XP and found that the partitions were "Protected GPT Partitions" and I couldn't use them.
    After a bit more research I found GPT Loader:
    www(dot)paragon-software(dot)com/technologies/components/gpt-loader/
    and using a copy of that, now the whole drive is available.

Thanks for your help, in the end you showed me what I should be searching for and that fixed my problem!