PLEASE HELP ME!!! i've just updated wrong BIOS:(

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by umut021, Jun 3, 2008.

1. umut021

umut021 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Hi friends,

I have just done a big mistake. I wanted to install windows vista on sunday night. But i hadnt update my bios before. Cause of that installation process stucked at vista window. So i thougt it can be useful updating bios.

I have a BIOSTAR a690g-m2 (mo)ther(bo)ard. But i didnt remember its full name and looked to everest and it was written ta690g. So i downloaded ta690g bios and flashed it with TSeries BIOS update file (BIOSTAR's flash program).

I am so lucky and the suitability of these two MOBO's are excellent and now im using a690g with ta690g BIOS. But i have a lot of problems. First of them is the audio. Because TA690 has HDMI but mine is not. So REaltek isnt working correctly, I'm not able to get any noise from my 5+1 creative system.
    I cant update IE6 to IE7, vs,vs.... A lot of problems like this.

Now i want to recover my old bios. I have tried all flash programs (awdflash, winphlash, winflash, vs) I ve looked a lot of websites and couldnt find a solution.

As i understood my problem is so difficult and there's a possible solution but it was risky. If i find a same mobo with mine, while two of them are running i should change the bios chips. But this is a risky operation.

IF there is anyone else who knows a possible solution for this please help me!!!

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    Is it a Award bios?
    yes it is!
    What about the FORCE option of Awdflash?
    Awdflash A69GMB01.BF /f

or:
    awdflash A69GMB01.BF /py /sn /cd /cp /cc

A69GMB01.BF = your bios that you want to flash.
    Does the biostar flash program has got any options, like update old bios, or force to update bios?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    Another option... if your bios chip can be removed from a socket, you can purchase a bios chip flash kit from ebay fairly cheap. Just pull a simular bios chip from an old/bad board, or buy one, flash it with the kit using the correct bios and snap it back into the socket. BE SURE the chip is installed correctly inside the socket or it will fry the chip.

4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Your bios seems to be Award.
    You can see its components by renaming your file to <yourbios>.bin
    Download the latest cbrom.exe and put in the same folder as your bios.
    Open cmd and navigate to the bios folder.
    Type cbrom <yourbios>.bin /d

From this it is logical that you can use awdflash.
    Why do you get the error unknown...I dont know, maybe @yen can answer that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. umut021

umut021 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Nice idea, thanks so much. But i know that it is also hard to know finding same bios chip. It must be same (2M or 4M, PHOENIX or AWARD or AMI) All the values must be same. Do you believe that could i find the same chip??? OR do you know which values must be same? i dont want to fry my mobo while trying and old chip.

6. umut021

umut021 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    My BIOS seems PHOENIX but i didnt try your method for now, i will try and inform again if it is different.

This error is always seen on my monitor everywhere. when opening at BIOS page, at harware monitor, after opening while trying to use a flash program...
    I always see "UNKNOWN FLASH TYPE"

I suppose this is because my current BIOS is not suitable for my MOBO. So it says i am not defining my current bios so i cant flash another bios. I dont know!!!:(:(:(

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. umut021

umut021 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    I've tried to reflash my bios rom with the correct bios file using all versions of awdflash v1.x & v8.x(jetway,asus,biostar,...all are the same thing), uniflash and all in Hiren's BootCD in DOS using command "Awdflash bios.bin /sn/py/r". All the programs work smooth, but they ask if we are sure then we press Y(es), then before the proccess begin it always prompts "unknown flash type" also the bios says the same, unknown flash type. We need a perfect flash tool which can identify our bios rom chip.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    First: WinPHlash will NOT work for Award bios, it's Award WinFlash!!

Second: Have you tried this procedure EXACTLY:

awdflash bios.bin /py/sn/f/cc/r

Use exactly these switches!

10. umut021

umut021 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Yes, i tried it yesterday night. It said unknown flash type before, this time "Please wait" never gone, and the diskette is always turns. I left the pc open and slept. I hoped to see it flashed at morning but nothing:(

11. Rhythmeister

Rhythmeister MDL Novice

May 8, 2007
    Uniflash FTW!