Please recommend=> easiest/best tools for P2V for XP ??

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by smallhagrid, Nov 8, 2013.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm determined to keep XP around...forever !!!

Background=>
    I am moving mostly to Linux for the sake of h/w compatibility, but have windows apps that I still need to use.
    Tried VirtualBox on Linux and it was alot of trouble for me, but VMWare Player worked great.

I also wanted to use a VM in XP of a stripped down XP for testing things.
    Of all the options I treid I found that an older version of VirtualPC worked really well for that.

But I also found that doing P2V to make a VM can be a bit sticky even if the HDD controller is set right.

Any suggestions for favourite/best P2V tool for XP ??

Thanks.

2. deepfield

deepfield MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    #3 deepfield, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    @smallhagrid:

For P2V, I've used several different methods (Acronis True Image Pro [...correction: *PLUS*] Pack booted from CD - well you'd be taking a backup anyway; vCenter Converter; VMware Workstation - do your conversion in the free 30days then if you have no serial use VMplayer).

Virtualising a plain XP system should cause no problems.

However, if you have installed anything like CloneCD or OpenVPN (which seem to hook deeper into Windows), I'd recommend temporarily uninstalling them during the conversion.

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks Deepfield.

I wonder if you would be specific about which version of ATI you are referring to above, please ??
    I did want to try vCenter Converter, but it failed installing for some reason.
    (I have thus far avoided installing VMware WS.)

The one I want to use as a guest within XP will be very plain, just tweaked the way I like it - but the one for use in Linux will have apps included, just nothing very demanding - no network or burning apps for sure.
    Those functions are what I'll use the host OS for when I need them.

Thanks for the great reply !!!

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I always found it easy to make a backup of literally any system I want to make virtual with Paragon backup and then restore it to a VHD and then p2v with paragon afterwords. VMware has a free addon for vcenter vconverter but I rather use Paragon from start to finish.

5. deepfield

deepfield MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    @smallhagrid:

You're welcome.

I meant ATI 2013 Plus Pack (now added above). It's quite easy to find that bootable disk image. I have never installed ATI on a hard disk as I don't really trust *hot* imaging, but the ATI boot-from-CD versions are quite reliable (just take no notice of the erratic predicted completion times!)

Yours is a straightforward migration, but whichever migration method you choose it should go smoothly. ;)

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #7 smallhagrid, Nov 9, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks EFA11.
    I believe you are referring to Paragon Backup & Restore, yes ??
    I've seen a P2V Adjust tool in there (I think...), but haven't the slightest idea of how to use that tool to adjust data inside a VHD - please elaborate ??
    I've always been a bit confused about how one restores an image to a VM...
    Seems like one must create a new/blank VM - make it boot from CD - then restore to the attached virtual drive from an image stored someplace - is this roughly correct ??
    Have I missed any details ?!?

Thanks.

7. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #8 smallhagrid, Nov 9, 2013
    (OP)
    @Deepfield...Thanks Again !!
    I searched at Filetram on the terms 'true image 2013 plus pack' and there's a zillion of 'em - which is great - but they're all different sizes varying from 7MB to over 400MB.

Might you suggest a particular release and/or filename to help me weed through them, please ?!?

The 2 most mentioned releases seem to be=>
    Acronis.True.Image.Home.2013.b5551.Plus.Pack.iSO-rG.rar
    Acronis_True_Image_Home_2013_Plus_Pack_16_0_5551_08_24_2012_BootCD_Genial78.rar

Thanks.

8. deepfield

deepfield MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    @smallhagrid:

I downloaded and burned my CD a long time ago, so I can't help you with specific filenames. But the 2013 version should be OK. The ISO is probably around 300 to 400MB. I suggest you avoid build 6514 IF you use a wireless keyboard or wireless mouse.

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks Deepfield - I found & grabbed both versions...and they are the same - it's very funny.
    No wireless here, so it's all good.
    They are both True Image Home 2013 Plus Pack build 5551.

Sebus - Thanks.
    I had not heard of MbrFix before, and found it's page quite interesting - and especially that it has no link to download MbrFix.exe !!!

I am still a bit baffled about the whole idea of restoring an image to a VM.
    (Since I have Drive Snapshot that should be very easy if it didn't baffle me...)

Thanks for the great info folks !!!

10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #12 smallhagrid, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    (OP)
    @Deepfield:
    I got true image 2013 plus pack - burn to CD - booted from it - and see no virtualization or conversion options at all ???
    Is it hidden in there somehow ?!?
    Please guide me if you can.
    Thanks.

11. deepfield

deepfield MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    #13 deepfield, Nov 11, 2013
    Hi smallhagrid,

Probably useful if you take a look at the manuals for ATI and Plus Pack on the Acronis site.

Also see:
    kb.acronis.com/content/34283 and kb.acronis.com/content/13671

(The generic drivers are installed when you *restore* the image. If you have the correct Acronis CD, you should see a tickbox labelled "Use Acronis Universal Restore" underneath "Restore whole disks or partitions")

I only suggest you use this method to virtualise your loved and long-standing XP installation.

For a new (vanilla) XP it's far better to install from install media direct into a new VM and you might be surprised how fast a clean XP runs virtualised..

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #14 EFA11, Nov 11, 2013
    I use Paragon Hard Drive Suite 12. It has backup virtual wipe everything I need pretty much, tied into one app.

Create a blank VHD large enough to fit the backed up drive and restore the imaged OS to that VHD afterwords, P2V-Copy (Not P2V-Adjust) the VHD disk you restored, choose VMware/VirtualPC/Vbox as your final VM type set some initial settings (memory drive type etc) and it will create a VM in the format you chose.

13. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #15 smallhagrid, Nov 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks Again Deepfield and EFA11.
    As it turns out, I got the Paragon 12 and also have Easeus Todo Backup WS - which both directly do P2V.

The older versions of Acronis boot discs I have show the virtual options clearly, but the newer version has been made less useful IMO - and I've found that nothing made recently by Acronis is as good as it once was.
    Now that most every competitor of theirs has some sort of Universal Restore - they've lost their edge completely, I think.

Looks like it's all in hand now for me between Easeus (which is installed on my PC) and the Paragon boot disc it should be quite simple to get where I would like to go.

Thanks Folks.

14. djohne

djohne MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2014
    With this some free useful tools VirtualBox, disk2vhd, grub4dos, IMG_XP_80.exe you can create P2V, V2V, V2P or also booting VHD file in real machine.
    Sorry, I can not post a link how to make it, coz of my first post
    Good luck

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  16. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    is it possible to dual boot ? ie: run xp virtually, then shutdown and run real xp? thx

17. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    A very interesting reply - thanks:
    All of those are familiar to me except for IMG_XP_80 - is this something you have made ??

18. JStyle

JStyle MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2014
    I've had great success with Disk2VHD, there is an option when creating a VHD that allows you to prepare it for a virtual machine. Unfortunately you can't use Windows 7 native boot (dual boot with a VHD) with an XP VHD if that was a route you were heading towards...however, there's always Win8 and Hyper-V though!

Disk2VHD - hxxp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx