Pls Guide: Deleted Search, how to re enable

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bigbyte, May 16, 2016.

1. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    I used slave77 tool to disable all telemetry packages including search and Cortana. After that when I type any thing in search box in the taskbar nothing happens.

Now i am finding it very inconvenient to use the laptop without the search feature. Not much interested in cortana (unless it is mandatory for search to function). Can some one tell me step by guide to re install the search?

Thanks in advance.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    im not sure but i would try reupgrading on top.. mediacreationtool shall do it

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just use classic shell, the search will work as always did in Win 7.

What you uninstalled is the crappy search2 function.

The search function is still there.

4. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Use Windows Search Troubleshooter

Open Control Panel > All Control Panel Items and click on Find and fix problems. Run it and follow the wizard.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

There isn't any problem in his setup.

He just removed the crap from the installation.

Search is still there (and working)

Serach2 isn't installed anymore (so there is little to troubleshoot on it)

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Refresh your system as the last but effective resort.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Noooo again!? o_O

His system has NO PROBLEM to fix. It's perfectly working. He just needs Classic Shell (or startsisback) to access the search function.

That's all.

8. bigbyte

bigbyte MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks a lot @T-S. I will test my system with both Classic shell and startisback and update the thread.

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Studio384

Studio384 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2015
    He broke search, if you need a third party tool to get something working that worked before but stopped doing so by your actions, then something is wrong. Classic Shell or StartIsBack are just stupid ways to go arround the problem. Neither are even an answer to his problem, you're just adding another search feature and/or a different UI on top of what is already there.

Anyway, Bigbyte, the search and Cortana feature you removed have nothing to do with telemetry. If you send a search query over the internet, obviously its going to send that query to the servers but this can easily be disabled, heck, Cortana isn't even enabled by default. Just leave it on your system the next time, it doesn't do anything "wrong" if you don't enable it in the first place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think the only wrong thing here is your attitude to understand what he did.

He removed the search TWO components. They are used by cortana, and likely by some other metro s**t.

The search component is still there, is not broken, and is alive and kicking.

And he need a good third party replacement not because he broke something, but because MS broke something.

A good start menu feature.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012