pls help on backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by potjevleesch, Apr 24, 2016.

1. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    Hello
    How can I use the Windows 7 contraption to put my system backups on Onedrive, MS allocated 1T° after subscribing to office 365.
    thanks

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    what contraption? WindowsBackupImage? If so, upload the folder and contents to OneSmell

3. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    yes W7 backup tool, I hoped there was some way to choose Onedrive as a backup place, I'm wondering if W7 backup tool will be there to choose as a sorce when in need because I can't choose it when creating the image.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I would suggest external media, either dvd or flash drive. Once you get it on OneSmell you would need to retrieve as you mentioned. The backup/restore doesn't offer that as a viable or safe choice to my knowledge. It would be probably wise to assume that if it cannot be chosen during backup, it will not be an option during restore.

There are other backup solutions that allow you to choose network sources for backup and restore. If your windows farts out completely, you would need to boot to a bootdisk/usb with backup software running to perform the restoration.

This wont work for complete HDD failure, but for windows screw-ups, you can create a partition on your current HDD and place the backup there. When you boot to the bootdisk/usb you would only need point it to the new partition to restore windows.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just use stabilebit clouddrive, you will see any supported cloud services as real disks, and you can do almost everything with them (including backups and encryption), also you can use drivepool to transparently duplicate a real drive or some selected folders to one or more cloud services, practically a raid over the air.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Create the image on an external drive then copy it to the OneDrive folder. Seems awful clunky and slow to me but if your ultimate goal is to get the image on OneDrive that might work. If there is no option to select OneDrive as your destination then I say that pretty much rules it out as a direct destination. All I ever see is a local hard drive, optical drive and network. I've never seen OneDrive as a direct option.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That's practically what Clouddrive I suggested above does transparently.

Creates a virtual drive file on a cloud space, mounts it locally as a real drive, and cache it locally for quick access.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You simply forget to mention that Stabelbit Clouddrive is Payware and cost 35 bucks, even as Beta! The 30day Trial has it's limitations! And the same applies for DrivePool!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. andruszd

andruszd MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    Create Synchronicity - Backup & Sync from sourceforge

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Maybe you're unaware of the fact that sometimes the good sw can be paid (or pirated, depending on how honest are you).

Please stop to criticize the people just because the people sometimes criticizes you, it's a childish behavior, and I assume you aren't a children anymore, at least according to your ID.

11. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011

childish behavior?? coming from you?? :epiclol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm 100% with you!!

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You are the kid who isn't upset by jokes, isn it?:D