[Poll] Has your opinion of Windows 8/8.1 changed in recent months?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mutagen, Apr 2, 2014.

?

Liking Windows 8/8.1 more these days?

1. I feel better about it.

47 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No change from months ago.

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. I despise it more than ever.

14 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. So filled with rage, I downgraded to XP!

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Created this poll because my sense is that Windows 8/8.1 is gaining, but perhaps not much, in popularity.

2. v0id

v0id MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I dont see any poll? :confused:

3. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    I liked 8 from day 1, like 8.1 more now :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tdr2012

tdr2012 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    #4 tdr2012, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    I'm pro for Windows 8.1 and more especially now with Windows 8.1 Update 1 because of the reduced system requirements. I am sick of waiting for Windows 8.1 to load on my very slow netbook that has an SSD (which isn't recommended for my processor since it is designed to work under 5W TDP), but, hopefully with the optimizations that led to reducing the footprint of the OS on resources can I now enjoy at least a Windows XP desktop experience on it =/

I still believe Windows 8.1 is in beta, simply because of how easy it is for third party software to make it go crazy (auslogics installed on my laptop causes windows to bluescreen every time). Stuff are just silly like that AND the dreaded "no brightness slider" problem....

Windows 8.1 not designed for laptops! so much little software problems and weirdness.... also the Win+X menu not functioning consistently...

Hopefully 8.1.1 changes that....

5. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Not a chance, I just don't like it and I never will....

A month ago, I have bought a laptop with win7 preinstalled and sticking to it for the next 3-4 years :p

Voted - "I despise it more than ever." :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Cannot answer to any of the options, as I still prefer 8 to 8.1. Sampled 8.1 with the new updates a week back and not much has changed in front. The future for my PC is 8 and 8.1 for a few months, and then migrate exclusively to 8.1.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I actually dual-boot 7 and 8.1

I mostly only use 7 for games though since they haven't caught up to 8.x in compatibility yet.
    But then games can't really be developed for things that don't exist yet, and making games takes time, so it'll be a little while.
    Hopefully when dx12 comes out a lot of devs will start actually using it.
    I'm glad they're starting to develop for dx10 and 11 tho... the old dx9 api was garbage.

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I do not use dual boot, but use 8 and 8.1 through acronis true image (going back and forth every 3-4 days). Wish I could also use 7 but on a 8/8.1 system, I used to get chkdsk when I restored a 7 image. Perhaps something to do with fast startup.

9. cardex88

cardex88 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2012
    win 8 is getting better and better in user interface especially in win 8.1 update 1.

we see windows is adapting to user feedback.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have voted no change from months ago. Anything that has been integrated since win7 is useless and even makes it more 'senseless' / inconvenient to use, the layout / UI of w8.x is 90s (ugly) and to revert it step by step to w7 is not what I call development. Besides of that w8.x has many bugs, appears to be unreliable.
    The low sales confirm my way of thinking...

11. Salad

Salad MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2008
    I changed my opinion after reading this blog: blogs.msdn.com/b/b8 :D.
    There are really a lot of under the hood changes.

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Windows 8.1 may boot to the Metro interface faster but that is useless to me. All of the software I use regularly runs on the desktop and I despise the plain vanilla desktop - it is Windows "X" BASIC - and most Linux desktops load faster and are more attractive.

If I add some UI enhancements like Win-Step or Window-Blinds I find even Vista boots faster to a usable desktop.

I use a 30 inch monitor and the Metro UI looks absurd - and as I said why would I pay for more software to run on a UI I find absurd on a desktop ??

I'll stick to 7 and even Vista - although it is getting hard to find new hardware support for Vista.

For those who thought Vista sucks the big problem was Vista requires a "supercomputer" to run well - how they ever expected it to be well received on a dual core laptop is beyond me !

Put it on a core i7 with a halfway decent SSD and it is only marginally slower than 7 to boot and almost as responsive in use - a small penalty for all those visual and other "enhancements" they stripped out in 7.

With 8 and 8.1 my desktop slows to a crawl - by that I mean it takes longer to load than even Vista - once I add in a few start-up programs and has turned me off it altogether.

On 7 or vista I have docks and tabs for quick access to programs - 8 forces desktop users into ridiculous positions to simply get any functionality.

Even Apple wasn't stupid enough to try to make a one-size fits all OS and M$ will regret this outright insult to the vast bulk of their customers - the corporate IT sector.

Even with the cheap upgrade offers for 8 initially I doubt it would have sold as well as Vista if it weren't for M$ forcing it on OEMs by withdrawing almost all access to 7.

If windows 9 continues this BS I'll switch to a Mac for my next computer - till then I'll stick to 7 and Vista as long as I can !

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    god bless you :p

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    To continue the theme of how bad 8 will be for M$ -

Woolworths in Australia has ditched M$ altogether because they will not continue to support XP !!!

Woolworth is a major retailer in Australia and have announced they will dump M$ altogether and switch to chromebook computing systems to run all their IT needs.

This will be a major blow to many OEM suppliers as well - most of the display screens I see in Woolworths are HP - expect to see them progressively phased out over time !

Windows 8 will undoubtedly turn out to be the BIGGEST mistake M$ has ever made !!

They will be pining for the good old days of the Vista release if other corporate sectors follow Woolworths !!

15. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Oh noes ... after 13! (i repeat THIRTEEN) years completely unexpected the XP support ended, and they didn't see it coming :doh:. Guess what, Vista will be next :cool2:.

16. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Ilike Windows 8 and 8.x so much that now Linux is running at my home:D:D:D

17. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
  18. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I feel better about it.

19. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I feel better about it, as I imagine many others suffering from Stockholm Syndrome do.

But really, I do feel better about it.

20. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I've been using 7 mostly. I like 8's Task Manager better but the Windows 8 UI is Ugly and the AMD AHCI driver has been a problem. I'm all for change that results in better functionality but so much of 8 is simply change for change's sake.

Customers have already passed judgement on 8 and it's not good. I hope Microsoft gets it together next release because Linux is still crude.