Port Windows 7 View Available Networks (Wifi Flyout) to Windows10?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dummekuehe, May 1, 2016.

1. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Hi guys,
    i found this registry key that makes it possible to start windows without sihost.exe
    This will disable all the modern windows crap and makes a difference in performance.
    Starting without sihost my system uses about 100MB less ram.

The problem is, this leaves me without the view available networks flyout (and of course new settings, startmenu, action center - which i don't care for).
    So has anybody tried to port the windows 7 popup/flyout to windows 8 or 10?
    It seems system32\van.dll is responsible for the flyout. Replacing the win10 one with the version from windows 7 did not work. Calling the popup via rundll32 did not work.
    Any suggestions? Are there dependencies, other resources it needs? Or is there maybe something in the shell that is needed but not available anymore in windows 10?

I tried for hours to find a suitable replacement for the builtin windows network manager, but couldn't find anything.
    Except portlock wifi manger (which is a bit too expensive coming in a suite with other tools).

2. glewarne

glewarne MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2015
    in the age of 4gb ram being commonplace, 8gb being normal, and 16gb being quite usual, why are you crippling windows to save 100mb of ram ?

3. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    I think it is just not possible.
    They killed that flyout completely. The only thing you can restore in Windows 8-like wifi network pane.
    I guess it is not that you need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    wow, you've been here for a year and this was the reason for your first post?
    i thought about adding "please no discussion about why i'm doing this"

i have a notebook with a e2-2000 and it performed really well with windows 7 even 8 and the early win10 leaks.
    but now with final windows 10 it's unbearably slow