Portable HDD Disconnect Refusal

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BrokenDaily, Nov 1, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I have a 2 tb portable hard drive for desktop backup purposes (maybe some system img backs or whatever) and (when my new laptop drive for my ps4 gets here) backing up my ps4; sometimes when I connect it, do my thing, and let it run after a while, I go to safely remove it, but the damn thing gives me a "sorry, *insert name here* is still using this drive, no go"

so I download and open up process explorer and use its find handle or dll function to see what in my computer is refusing to let it go, and it always returns these 4 results in some metadata or whatever sys folder; I can eject it using usbdiskejector in admin mode, but is there a way to stop whatever keeps "blocking" it from ejecting?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    On my home system I find it more reliable to eject my usb drive through windows explorer otherwise I'd have to attempt "Safely Remove" multiple times.
    On my friends PC he runs Norton Antivirus which seems to be always scanning the drive & preventing ejection...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    i'll check out the link you provided MrChris, but my portable HDD has no option to "safely remove" or "eject" from windows explorer, I need to do it from the system tray icon (one that looks like a usb device with a checkmark in its lower right hand corner), or usbdiskejector in admin mode