Possibe? How? To use Windows Explorer from Server 2008 on Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crashnburn, Jun 29, 2012.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Possibe? How? To use Windows Explorer from Server 2008 on Windows 7?

I miss the clean simple lines & less drama in Windows Explorer in Win XP when browsing files & folders etc.

The Windows Explorer on Win 7 is just kind of ugly with all the extra drama Libraries/Special Folders.

This kind of lean option has been eliminated on Win 7, but this explorer is available on Server 2008.

Is it possible to copy it from a Server and use it on a Windows 7 machine? If at all, how can it be made to RUN/ WORK?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks. That was helpful. It helps to some extent to specially eliminate LIBRARIES thing popping out but still does not do a bunch of things right.

e.g. In XP when I would click/select a folder in the left pane (wherever its vertical location in left pane - STAYS the SAME) it would show me all its child folders (in left pane) and folders files on the right pane.

In Win 7, let say I have a DOWNLOADS (Level 1) folder where I categorize different kind of Apps etc in 50/100 different folders.
    As I use the keyboard to browse down the several folders in here (Level 2).. and I reach one one of the folders in left pane (vertical center of left pane) and press the Right Arrow key to Expand and show the folders (Level 3) etc inside to possibly choose to go deeper.. The Selected Level 2 folder Pops to the bottom of the Left Pane.. and thereby I am unable to see the Level 3... Until I scroll again to get Level 2 folder back to the vertical center of the left pane.

This is irritating as I've used my keyboard to browse tons of deep trees of information on Windows XP and never seen this kind of behavior.

Its like Win 7 is trying to be intelligent to show me stuff on left pane.. but ending up just not helping me.

3. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^ classic shell will take care of all your issues. ;)

4. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks again. I did use it on a previous Win7 install, liked it a lot, but it misses out on somethings. Let me check/ try it again and get back.

5. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^ i think no. but you can try the registry method given at the link mentioned by you. :)