Possible correction for the How To: Create PRO OEM SLP CD-thread by Suicide Solution

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sittingduck77, Sep 26, 2009.

1. sittingduck77

sittingduck77 MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #1 sittingduck77, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    This is for Suicide Solution but I would guess that dobbelina and 911medic would also like to know the following:

Using the VLK to OEM guide, I get an error at the beginning of the installation of XP (I'm using an official Danish MSDN XP Pro with SP3 VL iso). While investigating the issue, I came across dobbelina's directions for using his VLK to OEM tool, and then I tried replacing the pidgen.dll and dpcdll.dll from the IP-dir from the Danish version of Service Pack 3. However, this didn't change anything, either. Then I investigated some more and came upon crypto's thread about verifying the oembios files. In it he wrote "For example, the files "pidgen.dll" and "dpcdll.dll" can be verified against the "nt5inf.cat" catalog file." So I then tried also replacing the nt5inf.cat with the one from the ip-directory in the Danish SP3, and voila! It works. It seems these three files make up a set that can't be separated and has to come from the same source.

So my conclusion is (and I hope I'm not wrong about this): In order to use Suicide Solution's guide for making a VLK to OEM disk in a language other than English, one must use pidgen.dll, dpcdll.dll and nt5inf.cat from the ip directory in Service Pack 3 of the same language as the XP VL version. I've tested this in virtual machines and believe I am right. I don't know if this also applies to dobbelina's and 911medic's tools for changing a live installation to OEM, but I would guess that it had something to say.

2. icecold

icecold MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    #2 icecold, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Yes, your right.

** Danish VLK->OEM

dpcdll.dl_ <- from service pack 3 in your language.
    nt5inf.ca_ <- from service pack 3 in your language.
    pidgen.dll <- from service pack 3 in your language.
    SETUPP.INI <- modify it in notepad and change the PID
    oembios.* files for your computer brand.

are the needed files, eula file seems to be for cosmetic and doesnt need to be changed.

** Danish installed VLK->OEM
    You can open dobbelinas VLK2OEM and do the changes manually with your danish files.

go to failsafe.
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\pidgen.dll
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\dpcdll.dll
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\OEMBIOS.CAT
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\oembios.sig
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\oembios.dat
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dllcache\oembios.bin

overwite c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll
    overwite c:\windows\system32\dpcdll.dll
    overwite c:\windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
    overwite c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig
    overwite c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat
    overwite c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin
    attrib +s c:\windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT

** edit 28/9-09
    and dont forget to run the correct key batch from OEM2VLK by dobbelina

since nt5inf.ca_ seems connected with the other files i would overwrite it to even if dobbelinas vlk2oem doesnt do so, i hope i didnt miss anything ;)

3. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    #3 Suicide Solution, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I never do these guides with anything other than a English install in mind.
    I don't have other versions to test and most people here use English setups anyway.

Will mention in the guide that it might be best to collect files from matching SP3 language if not English.

4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #4 dobbelina, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    nt5inf.cat is not needed to convert a "live installation".
    It is needed however when doing a new install, as setup will query
    the bitch :D

Once a installation is complete WFP (Windows File Protection) takes over.
    Mine and 911medic's tool uses wfpreplace.exe to fool WFP.
    If you don't wake the bear that's sleeping, it will never wake up ;)

Under special circumstances, if you let sfc /scannow run in commandline mode,it will complain about above mentioned files after a conversion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...