Possible Protection from future deactivation.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TSX2010, Nov 15, 2009.

1. TSX2010

TSX2010 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    After looking at the methods used by RemoveWAT and Chew-WGA I was thinking that if we denied permission to the files we use for loaders such as GRLDR, modified BOOTMGR, ect... that it would stop/prevent/ make it harder for any future Windows update to remove or disable them.

Please let me know your thought on this.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That might work but M$ May look specifically for read-only system files and then deactivate pc's with that present anyway so it is really hard to say at this point. I know Daz is on the right path for loader protection though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TSX2010

TSX2010 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    Good point il look a bit deeper into this, an yes definately and is my loader of choice.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I don't think anything will "protect" against M$ if they decide to get serious about piracy but I do know what they will target first -

hacked system files and loaders.

They have built in many ways to annoy a pirated system - they toned it down in Vista but this was because Vista was a commercial flop.

They need 7 to succeed and if it does they may take a more substantive attack approach and really start messing up hacked systems - why wouldn't they?

Bios modifications will be the hardest to attack.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Protection from future deactivation:

*disable updates - download manually and test in a virtual machine before installing
    *disable defender/security center/ any M$ tools that connects to the net to "protect" your system
    *disable the default firewall completely
    *install a 3rd party firewall and tighten the rules on all M$ programs
    *do not use IE browser, M$ may use it to piggy back "call home" checks same as hackers RAT's do

these are just very minor limitations if you use a loader.

6. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    you might to ad Windows Media Player to that list as well. Best not to use any built in MS app in that case.

7. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #8 nononsence, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    notepad
    wordpad
    control panel
    mspaint
    calculator

also do activation checks, and connect to sppsvc, I never looked at the
    query, probably just a check to see if it is running.

EDIT: also a lot of trojan downloaders use background intelligent transfer,
    so turn of the BITS service.

8. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #9 Brainsuck, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    With all that you just well pay for it:D:D:D:eek::eek:lol!!! No Mediacenter to Thy Sky is falling what should I do? run XP

9. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    At the rate msft's win7 apps are disabled, you'll end up like having a skeleton of windows 7. :D:D:D

10. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I agree, I droped Vista for the public beta and never realy had a major
    problem other than hardware venders slow to update their drivers, and
    I can't blame that on MS, Windows 7 is on my Christmas list.

11. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    answer you pm:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    that's a very good thing! more system resources, less bloat and a faster more responsive Windows 7.
    there are excellent system friendly freeware apps that replaces M$ junk bloated apps.

13. loliix

loliix MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    If you are that concerned about MS detecting GRUB (the bootloader also used to boot linux), then all you need to do is install that SLIC modified loader in a linux partition (ie. ext2/3/4) and that's it!

My honest opinion about this subject is that (if anything) Microsoft won't actually be seeking for GRUB in the hard drive, which can lead to many false positives and an hellstorm of accusations for trying to kill linux, but rather look for some of the subtle details in the way GRUB "patches" the SLIC to the memory.
    Simply put, it's not about what is in the hard drive but rather the way your SLIC was introduced to memory.

14. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    If loaders were to be rendered useless to activate Win7, then I have two tested and working BIOS mods (which I acquired from MDL) that are ready to be used to flash my BIOS :) I would be able to return my Windows to activate status in a matter of minutes. The only reason I'm using a loader to activate currently is because they're safer and more convenient. :p

I advice that you, like me, look for a plan B just in case.

15. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Yes, I agree with you. I have the same plan B on going.
    My machine is activated by Daz's app, but I have a Bios mod kept in the drawer, if necessary.:D

16. bigbloke

bigbloke MDL Novice

May 11, 2009
    how are loaders safer or more convenient?

17. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    If you flash your bios wrong you could brick your machine:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

18. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Safer because of the reason Brainsuck stated. More convenient because it takes a simple click of a button to install and another click to uninstall from the system. ;) BIOS mods are the more stable and concrete solution to activate though.

19. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    #20 nononsence, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    this is one of those "why didnt I think of that" ideas. moving the bootloader
    off of a filesystem that windows can read will provide the most security for
    the least amount of effort, in the context of looking at the file for any tell tail
    code like acpi table patching or slic decryption code.

maybe a small linux boot disk that will move the files from the system partition
    to the OS partition format the system partition with ext3 and install the bootfile
    on the newly formated partition would do the trick.

another idea someone mentioned was to write the loader code as part of
    the bootsector not sure how feasable that is.

there still is the vulnerability that the HD could be greped for tell tail code
    but MS may not bother to go that far unless it becomes a popular way to do it