Possible solution for Office 2010 activation/notification/Rearm Issue

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by RandomUser, Feb 7, 2012.

1. RandomUser

RandomUser MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
    #1 RandomUser, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    This may be a waste of time, but I like to take the time to post that I came across a solution for notification mode, and why it goes to notification mode right after reinstall. This also works for those that may have no more rearm counts left and forgot to backup their license. However, Office 2010 was installed on a clean machine without any previous installed Office. To my finding why notification mode never goes away after reinstall, is that Office love to create empty keys in the registry and that the keys number does change sometime. The format of the keys are as fallows: {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}. These keys regarding to Office is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\ and they are usually 3 of them that are empty. There is time where there would be 9 of them, but almost always just 3 empty keys that needs to be deleted. Since everyone machine is different, you may have more then 9, in which case you should back up your registry just for safety measure and delete all the empty keys and the license for Office. You can use my included attachment to attempt to completely reset Office 2010, but I have to say that I may not have had found all the empty keys regarding to Office 2010 due to the fact that it sometimes create a different empty keys, in which case you may have to manually search and locate the keys. If you do find a new key value then please copy it into the registry file, save it, and post it.
    Also keep in mind that the Microsoft Toolkit may not completely delete the license as it didn't for me. It left the user information for Office, but perhaps I must have not used it correctly? While Microsoft Toolkit is a very good application, this method about the empty keys could be used for someone whom is having trouble with Office 2010 or want to use Office 2010 without the need for using external software to continue using it.
    I forgot to mention that this test was carried out on Windows NT 6.1 x64 and so the registry files in the attachment reflect that and should work on XP and Vista x64 and maybe x32.

Attached Files: