Possible to repair Win7 installation that key has become invalid?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bluerose5, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bluerose5

bluerose5 MDL Junior Member

May 27, 2016
    I was trying to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 using the Windows Update tool (Media Creation Tool 1909.exe) to create a USB. Once it completed I launched it, but then closed it because I realized there were still files I needed to backup beforehand. After rebooting for another issue, Windows alerts came on my screen saying that my product key was invalid (I had successfully installed Win7 Ultimate using a guide on this site about 4 years ago).

So my question is now, is it possible to fix this mess? My system has become quite unstable (after being perfect for almost 4 years).. I desperately need to repair my Win7 installation, but I think I would probably need to fix this licensing issue beforehand. How would I go about these tasks?

Can anyone let me know their thoughts on this?

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  3. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    Thank you.. Success in validation. Now how can I repair my system if I dont have a disk?

4. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    or is it possible to upgrade to Win10 pro with this WIN7 Ultimate?

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Dear @bluerose5 !
    There are absolutely no restrictions and nothing has changed since July 29, 2015. So you can upgrade using any acceptable method, but you have to follow the upgrade rules and do as Microsoft has set them, not the way you want .
    And as you said in your first post, you had Wndows 7 Ultimate fully activated, so you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without any restrictions. There is no restrictions untill today.
    If you did something wrong, you always have the option to do everything again or use any unused Windows 7, Windows 8-8.1 unused activation key. Unused means that it shouldn't be used for upgrading already. Or use a Windows 10 activation key if you have one. If you prefer, you can use alternative activation methods.
    All of these have been talked about for almost 5 years and more than 5 billion guides have been written. Does everyone on earth really need their own individual guide and assistant?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    #6 bluerose5, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply. Considering there are 5 billion different threads explaining different methods of upgrading, and the various obstacles involved, it is best that inexperienced people like myself (who havent been watching every single thread for the past 5 years) ask for help.

So let me refine my question for anyone who wants to be helpful here. I have activated my Windows 7 Ultimate with the DAZ loader, but was unsuccessful at getting any new updates with the BypassESU-v5-AIO. In my attempt to upgrade I downloaded the MediaCreationTool1909.exe but cancelled before it got started (needed to back up some files first) and noticed after a reboot that my Windows registration was unauthorized. I have since patched my system with the Dazloader

What I'd like to know is:

1 - Is there a guide on this site that helps people with Win7 update to Win10 or is it as simple as doing it the same way someone with an OEM or retail license does?

2 - Is it possible upgrade to 10 from 7 if my WIn7 installation is authorized with Dazloader?

3 - If the upgrade from a DazLoader authorized system is indeed possible (and successful), are any further actions required to get WIn10 updates on a regular basis?

Thanks

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    1 - A system activated with the help of Daz Loader is indistinguishable from a Genuine OEM system. So, the upgrade procedure is the very same. Note that Loader gets lost, that' s OK.

2. See 1.

3. Nope.

8. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    Thanks for being helpful! I have one last question.

Can the new update from Win7 to Win10 be installed on a different drive (not different machine) than the drive the Win7 was installed on? My hope is to create a dual boot machine with the Win10 install to preserve my Win7 installation on a separate drive. I imagine that this process would invalidate the Win7 install, but that I could probably just re-validate it again with Daz loader after the Win10 is authorized?

Thanks!

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You want to upgrade 7 to 10 on another drive than 7 is installed on:thinking: how would that work?

Why not just clone the 7 install to another partition/drive and upgrade one of them.

10. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    I am not really sure how the WIndows7-----Windows10 upgrade works espcailly with different drives. I am assuming from your response that this is not possible? I assumed the Win10 installer would ask which drive to be installed on, and then if the previous 7 was still active its authentication would be revoked. Like I said, I dont know how this works, hence the questions.

About cloning; not a bad idea! I would like the Win10 partion to be larger than the WIN7 partition though, but I think this is ok so long as the target isn't smaller.

My other question is still pending about whether the Win7 install can be re-validated with the DAZLoader once the new Win10 is installed?

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At upgrading you can't select anything except what to keep.
    The cloning software should have a repartition option.
    After all the work is done, daz loader should be able to activate 7 again.

12. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    Thank you for being concise and helpful. I really appreciate it =)

13. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
    #13 bluerose5, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    (OP)
    for some reason My WIn7 has become deactivated again. I tried using Daz loader again, but it still says 'not genuine'

EDIT - used 'legacy' option in Advanced settings and it worked.

Thanks again.

14. bluerose5

May 27, 2016
  15. istighfar

istighfar MDL Junior Member

Apr 18, 2020
    He can't access to the win7 session anymore.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Then he can't do a repair install anyway.

If he thinks the ISO is corrupted, he can verify the checksums.

17. istighfar

istighfar MDL Junior Member

Apr 18, 2020
    he can create a win7 bootable usb stick then tries to do a startup repair, it could fix the issue.