Possible to retrieve BIOS directly from mobo to mod?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Liath, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Liath

Liath MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    #1 Liath, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Hello,

I've successfully modded several BIOS, using the OEM/manufacturer bios files downloaded from the OEM or manufacturer's site. I've never had a problem where I couldn't find a BIOS file before -- until now.

I have a Gateway GT5228, which has a "FIC K2BC51G" board. Unfortunately, FIC seems to be a crap manufacturer with no BIOS updates to this board at all. So there is no source from Gateway or FIC to get a copy of the original BIOS.

Is there any known way to get the ROM directly from the board itself, in a format that would be able to be modded, then flashed? I have seen information stating that this is not possible, but then I've seen software such as "Universal Bios Backup" that appears to do this.

Can anyone clarify this for me, and give me a bit of guidance?

Thank You in Advance!

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  3. Liath

Liath MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Thank you, NoJuan999!

I'd actually noted that there had been a previous MOD for this motherboard - I think you actually had done it, but that the file is no longer available. Considering that I cannot locate the BIOS, I was hoping that perhaps the BIOS file was somehow retrievable - either from some obscure site that I can't locate through Google, or some other means.

Is there a way to 'dry-run' the BIOS before flashing, to be safe, or some means to verify that it has the complete BIOS, before flashing it?

Thank you again!

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Open the BIOS in the Award Mod Tool, it will not open if it is NOT a complete BIOS.

5. Liath

Liath MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    #5 Liath, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you, NoJuan999 -- This worked perfectly!

Info for anyone else with same board:

I did NOT have any loaders or other tools used in my case -- it was a fresh Win7x64 install. I'd advise doing the same myself. You could use one of these loader removal tools, but personally I want to ensure there is absolutely no nasty surprises.
    Also, I searched for crap for 3 weeks trying to learn how to do this on this s**t FIC board. I really CBA to link everything. Use google or the site search (google, lol) and you'll find everything I refer to here.

There is no bios to be found on the 'net, so use Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0 and save the BIOS yourself.
    Grab awdflash.exe from wherever. I used AWDFlash 8.94 -- Search for "AWDFlash 8.94.rar"
    Used AwardTool v1.52, which you can locate on this site.
    Make yourself a bootable USB stick. Create a folder on it called BIOS.
    Open up AwardTool, select your backup BIOS file, use "other", select the HP SLIC and SLP. Make sure "0+2" is selected.
    Hit "Go". After done, I hit Verify as well.
    Get the new SLIC bios, rename it to bios.bin, and move awdflash.exe and bios.bin to the bootable stick's BIOS folder.
    Check weather, put computer on a UPS with a good charged battery. Personally, i don't recommend flashing when straight wall power. Power fluctuates, AC turns on and browns out power, etc. Having a boat anchor is no bueno.
    Leave stick in USB port, reboot, press F10 to select bootable drive, select "Hard Drive" then whatever your stick is called.
    Type "cd BIOS", hit enter, type "awdflash" and press enter.
    In the program, type bios.bin in the first field.
    Do NOT tell it to make a backup! It locks up the board every time. No harm that I noticed, but wasted time, and not sure if anything else could go wrong.
    Tell it to flash the board, then once it is done, should ask you to hit F1.
    When it reboots, press F2, and when in BIOS, select the "Load Optimized Defaults", then "Save to CMOS and exit", hit F2 again when it reboots, and change things how you would like them.
    Reboot, install keys using opaTool, or follow instructions from the Windows 7 guide on this site.
    Enjoy.

6. Liath

Liath MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    #7 Liath, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    (OP)
    Nope. No BIOS there. That is the first place I looked. Just some drivers. Please check and make sure if you'd like, but I see the standard fare drivers. SATA, chipset, video, and audio; but no BIOS updates.

Update: well, seems I was wrong. I could swear I've checked that site a million times and never seen a BIOS update, but this particular page has one under DOS heading. Must have been clicking the wrong links! I applaud your googling skills there, bigfoot.

It seems that this BIOS is newer than what is on the board too. Though when I opened the ZIP, I noticed something that makes me wonder if I should use this update:
    BIOS_Gagteway_NAG12GWA
    See if you notice what I did :p