Possible to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro for free?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by intelarmamd, Jul 4, 2019.

1. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro for free? If there is some way kindly inform. Best regards.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use the upgrade path i suggested and google for hwid + s1ave77;)

3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Do not attempt this then(aka win 7 install).

4. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Kindly inform which activation is more reliable? KMS or Hwid. Also is it possible for me to save the legitimate Windows 10 Home Key currently installed in my laptop for future? And when I upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro version would it also be updated in the laptop’s One Key recovery hidden partition or the One Key recovery would only contain the Windows 10 Home version for recovery. Best regards.:(

5. Diaz21414

Diaz21414 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    what do you mean by reliable? both methods work without problems, and will continue to do so for a long time, but KMS requires to reactivate every 180 days, HWID is permanent and tied to your hardware.

you should check your activation key to know if it is linked to your machine (it problably is) if it is, then you dont need to save it.

AFAIK the onekey recovery has a windows image in it, that wont be updated, unless you make a manual backup and use that image next time for a recovery, the home version in it will probably be outdated anyway.

6. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Laptop factory pre-installed win 10 key is embedded in laptop bios so no need for saving anything. One key recovery partition contains only factory pre-installed win 10 which cannot be modified. It is mainly for those who are either not tech-savvy or don't want to learn using imaging software like macrium reflect or in rare cases don't want to waste a hardware feature for which they already paid(aka that one key).

7. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    What if I delete the Lenovo recovery partition and one key recovery which only have drivers which I can save. This partition “D” is occupying 25 GB of space. And thereafter install fresh Windows 10 Pro. If it doesn’t effect my Lenovo Yoga’s all functions. Kindly inform. And if this does any harm I won’t delete anything.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can delete all you like as long as you made backup thats the first thing you are supposed to do.

9. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    You can do anything at the cost of losing one key recovery function.Drivers can be downloaded from lenovo website.Recovery function can be made using imaging software like macrium reflect but it won't be like one key recovery(aka you will need to do more than one step & press more than one key).Space used will be more or less same except imaging software made backup images will be latest & you can keep modifying it to be latest in future.

10. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I have two options now.

1- Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without deleting the “D, Lenovo” partition which has the drivers and also not deleting the One Key recovery which is hidden but may be in the “D” partition. This way my laptop’s functions would not be disturbed. But as you mentioned the One Key recovery would have the Windows 10 Home and it won’t upgrade to Windows 10 Pro as well as the Windows 10 Home image won’t update. Also the legitimate key would get wasted if I upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 Pro. But I think the Windows restore process would be easier as whenever I would restore Windows, the One Key recovery would install the Windows 10 Home version, unactivated, and would automatically install all the drivers etc. After I would have to activate Windows 10 Home Pro and upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro and update the system. And my laptop would be ready to use. For system restore I could use a USB.

2- After saving the drivers etc. just obtain the Windows 10 Pro image from MS website and install Windows 10 Pro in my laptop with my USB which would delete the “D, Lenovo” partition and hopefully the hidden One Key recovery. Thereafter activate the newly installed Windows 10 Pro with either Hwid or KMS. Install all the saved drivers. Also I would have to install three Lenovo apps from the Microsoft store. My laptop hopefully be all set to use. I hope my laptop’s original functions would not get distributed. For system restore I would use the USB and the saved drivers.

Kindly inform me which option should I choose. Also kindly Inform me where I am wrong and where I am missing something. Kindly guide me in this because without your guidance I won’t be able to do this. With my salute and best regards.:)

11. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Personally I would first go for a full hdd image(using macrium reflect free) saved to an external hdd(size at least equal to laptop hdd) & then experiment with option 2(aka full format & fresh install of win 10 pro).If I like option 2+recovery setup of macrium reflect then it's fine else I would restore the full hdd image & then go with option 1.

12. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012

Just checked the website of Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition, looks like a great software. Yes the method you mentioned is right way to move forward. For that I would have to arrange an external hdd first. I will be back within few days.

13. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    For even better help,check wilders forum
    backup, imaging & disk mgmt section.There are many experts there for imaging & backup related issues.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007